Stump... 3.5mo and 135g.

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Not for long....NBM, not for long!! LOL

Great updates and very cool. Be very careful with the whole "free range" thing with the Beast that is known as Stump.......Clemson used to mosey around here for many years, "see that chair moving across the living room".....but it also was likely the cause of his passing too. I'm not going to tell folks how to care for their guys, but we learn from others.

I'd suggest reading those Sulc care sheets.....they are pretty amazing and are the best I've read anywhere. Actual talent wrote them, not a pet store company so if you see things that maybe you should do differently, maybe you should do them differently....LOL

My little Matilda(box turtle) is 2 yrs, 3mos old.....and prob weighs just over 200gms...........you guys will be looking at something very different in another 18 months! LOL

Stay cool!
I second that. Tom's care sheet saved Stump from dryness and stunting. Jeff, I'm with you on the free range thing. You can walk your tortoise but no free range without being in a proper enclosure. I mean, Stump comes out and bugs my wife in her office but never out of his spot without eyes on him.

Newbabymama

Kansas
I second that. Tom's care sheet saved Stump from dryness and stunting. Jeff, I'm with you on the free range thing. You can walk your tortoise but no free range without being in a proper enclosure. I mean, Stump comes out and bugs my wife in her office but never out of his spot without eyes on him.
Tom's care sheet also saved ours. Pet store told us very different care then what I'm seeing here!

ryan57

PA
Stumpdate... 7" long, 1313g almost 3 pounds @ a little over 9.5months. Switching to pounds rather than grams soon.

Eats about 42grams or so of a mix of Mazuri small tortoise LS and regular Mazuri LS at this point, 10 grams of greens, then he still goes out and grazes. He was out today for 30 minutes in the 40's. We took Stump in the muggy box to a hotel room for 5 days and he soaks in the large water dish now whenever Stump chooses to so no more soaks in the sink.

S/he paces by the door after sitting around in the tote and lets us know he wants to go out. When it's cold, Stump couldn't possibly care less. Weird. We watch his carapace temp and don't let it get below 75 or so but other than that we have let him go outside for a walk then back to his box or in front of the wood stove. It works. S/he's apparently a PA tortoise that shipped from NJ. Like Mehmet OZ, lol.

Anyway, Stump will have 3 weeks in Florida in 2 weeks where the sunshine will be enjoyed by all!

IMG_2286.jpg
IMG_2289.jpg
IMG_2292.jpg
IMG_2293.jpg
IMG_2294.jpgIMG_2295.jpg
IMG_2296.jpg
At almost 3lbs, Stump moves these bricks around as s/he sees fit.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Stumpdate... 7" long, 1313g almost 3 pounds @ a little over 9.5months. Switching to pounds rather than grams soon.

Eats about 42grams or so of a mix of Mazuri small tortoise LS and regular Mazuri LS at this point, 10 grams of greens, then he still goes out and grazes. He was out today for 30 minutes in the 40's. We took Stump in the muggy box to a hotel room for 5 days and he soaks in the large water dish now whenever Stump chooses to so no more soaks in the sink.

S/he paces by the door after sitting around in the tote and lets us know he wants to go out. When it's cold, Stump couldn't possibly care less. Weird. We watch his carapace temp and don't let it get below 75 or so but other than that we have let him go outside for a walk then back to his box or in front of the wood stove. It works. S/he's apparently a PA tortoise that shipped from NJ. Like Mehmet OZ, lol.

Anyway, Stump will have 3 weeks in Florida in 2 weeks where the sunshine will be enjoyed by all!

View attachment 352611
View attachment 352612
View attachment 352613
View attachment 352614
View attachment 352615View attachment 352616
View attachment 352617
At almost 3lbs, Stump moves these bricks around as s/he sees fit.
A/he is just so cute!!!!
What a butt!!!
I wish I looked as good when I leave a room
🤣

As well, I think he looks like a boy.?
He’s got a boys face, no?
What a beautiful shell and all parts are so perfect!
Are you sure that’s not one of Toms torts??? 😂

ryan57

PA
I'm hoping for a girl for the reduced size but I fear Stump may be a state pumpkin sized male. We'll see soon enough! If so, he's a sweet, sweet boy.

It's kind of one of Tom's torts being that I came here for how to care for one. His guide is obviously spot on. I added a bit more sunshine time and a bit more exercise but s/he gets primo care from my wife as it's her home office buddy every day.

Now on to building the large outdoor enclosure and finishing the log home for the spring... looks like Stump will be at least 4lbs @ one year. Merry Christmas!!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Chefd.....you caused me to spit coffee at the screen.....lol

Good citation to Tom's care sheet.....

Stump looks really well Ryan.....keep in mind that the floor temp even in a well insulated home in PA can be 10F colder than at 60" where the tstat resides. Winter could leave him cold and susceptible to respy issues so just stay on top of that.

I had gotten a low wattage floor heater and by using a fulcrumed cutting board(what I used), was able to let Clem turn it on by himself. Cheesy setup but it lasted 3-4 years with him at 15lb + before he trashed it by ramming the heater. You'll learn what that's like, as others with big sulcs already know. LMAO They are a lot like that bull-in-a-china-shop in our homes and their strength and determination are astonishing for their size & demeanor. Give 'em traction with wall to wall carpeting and they will move sofas like Tonka trucks.....go ahead, ask me how I know??

Want to see a couple of sulc Beasts? Do a search here for: Miss Mary Dobbins.....its the turtles name.

Also might want/need to search "How to weigh a large tortoise".......

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you guys!

ryan57

PA

Stump looks really well Ryan.....keep in mind that the floor temp even in a well insulated home in PA can be 10F colder than at 60" where the tstat resides. Winter could leave him cold and susceptible to respy issues so just stay on top of that.

I had gotten a low wattage floor heater and by using a fulcrumed cutting board(what I used), was able to let Clem turn it on by himself. Cheesy setup but it lasted 3-4 years with him at 15lb + before he trashed it by ramming the heater. You'll learn what that's like, as others with big sulcs already know. LMAO They are a lot like that bull-in-a-china-shop in our homes and their strength and determination are astonishing for their size & demeanor. Give 'em traction with wall to wall carpeting and they will move sofas like Tonka trucks.....go ahead, ask me how I know??

Want to see a couple of sulc Beasts? Do a search here for: Miss Mary Dobbins.....its the turtles name.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you guys!Ive
I've noticed that with the temp gun AND 15 deg warmer in the bedrooms at the top of the stairs from the great room. Stump usually hangs out in his "muggy box" in Kathleen's office that is 84deg 80+% humidity all the time. He is definitely always warm. Last night he slept in his favorite spot in the world, his doggie bed by the wood stove, and was low 90's and loving it. More importantly, when this house was built in the 90's the owners had enough sense to install radiant heating in the unfinished basement so the heat for the house is a 4 ton HVAC unit AND radiant heat that we augmented with wood for and end times or the 24K generator is out of fuel scenario.

Oh my, Stump will NOT be staying inside when larger! Maybe, at night. Only. S/He will have a very well insulated (NO thermal bridging of studs even like a house) scale timber frame home with a split duct unit and a radiant heat zone off the house boiler. I really like the fulcrum idea for a plate switch.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Stump is a gorgeous tort and obviously well loved, but he would be safer in his own enclosure away from dust bunnies, carpet fibres, pet and human hairs (which can cause big problems in the digestive tract) and other small objects etc - I'm sure you're already aware of all the risks though.

ryan57

PA
Don't know what you're used to but, yes, our cleaning people ensure weekly that there are nothing but carpet fibers (no hair and no dust) available indoors which Stump doesn't eat because I am watching him/her and there couldn't be pet hairs as our only other pets are fish. Stump has secure enclosures indoors and one outdoors but thanks for your concern. What on earth would I do when we walk around the yard? Would I let him/her chew on squirrel carcass? No. Do I let him eat rocks? No. I can't make a predator safe enclosure 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile which is what he comfortably walks now outside so I'll just have to walk around with him/her and rely on my eyes as I do indoors.

Last edited:

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you guys!

Does this mean I owe you a computer for Christmas? ?????
I shan’t make you laugh ever again kind
sir/madam.
🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥
(Yea,right…. See how long THAT lasts! 🤭

As for big Sullies…..
Yep! You are spot on about that bull in a China shop thing….
Mine gets a hold of the bottom of my QUEEN SIZE BED and rams it up like she is at a “Patriots” practice field!!
WITH ME ON IT!!!!
Only reason I stop her is so she doesn’t hurt her shell.
(Or break my bed).

As you said before, it is 10 degrees colder on the floor and if she breaks my bed that’s where I’ll end up! 🤦‍♀️.
Either that or we BOTH sleep in her heated 12x12’ box of wood!
(I am scared if bugs 🐜) 😵‍💫😵🥺🥺

ryan57

PA
IMG_0850.jpg

Showed up today while Kathleen had Stump outside. When they went in, this enormous beast of a bird landed on the fence for a closer look. The problem with getting bigger is that you're easier to see.

I mean I've got the enclosure covered with chicken wire but we can't let him walk around anymore without a shield or something. This hawk or whatever was over 12" in length. Stump needs to get to 15-20lbs before he can walk around and graze outside of the enclosure.

Scary.

ryan57

PA
Stumpdate: I'll take a bunch of photos and post the first week of March. 1st hatchday. Already had the bedtime soak, snack and comfortably in the doggie bed for the night.

12months and about 1 week right now.
1549g 3.41 lbs tonight. 8 1/8"long, 5 1/4" wide, 4 1/4" high.

Figured out how to have a large enclosure outside protected from birds and other critters: I'm thinking about installing 8' posts along the fence and 12' posts in the center and really stout bird netting 100'x100' in the back yard over Stump's house and greenhouse to secure it. That way I can have a garden (for Stump) low profile greenhouse and all protected from the sky and s/he can be out all day -w- shade this year.

Last edited:

ryan57

PA
One year old later this week. Officially 4 lbs.
stump doggie bed.jpg
Stump's favorite spot between the hours of 5-6PM and 9-11 AM the next morning.
IMG_2444.PNG

IMG_2443.PNG
Stump's muggy as hell box in Kathleen's office.

IMG_2434.jpg
IMG_2435.jpg
IMG_2436.jpg
IMG_2437.jpg
IMG_2439.jpg
Stump's house for this year 2023... I cut the acrylic for his windows this weekend and have work power run out there. The cinder blocks are supporting a greenhouse frame for this spring and fall. In the summer I'll keep it on so even rainy days are good and dry and s/he can always choose to go into the protected yard enclosure.

I have 1lb of African grass and the leafy green mix on the way to plant on the hill and on the lower property. We have hibiscus, cactus, arugula, edible flowers, etc. going in the greenhouse soon. I am going to mulch around the entire area about 5" of cypress mulch. I have some small evergreens planned for landscaping around his house. What smaller bushes and plants should I get to landscape all around the area that Stump can eat?

If he gets to a large eagle/hawk proof size this second year, like 4lbs now to 15-25 pounds or so this year I'll be building a 16x16 version of this cabin for his next house with a large adjacent greenhouse. The 13'x3.5' greenhouse shown here will go over the 1600 gallon insulated/heated pond during the winter.

_The_Beast_

Canada
What an absolute unit! Any updated pics by chance? I'm also so curious to see how the cottage turned out, it looks awesome.