Stunted Redfoot, Potential Adult size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckie

5 Year Member
Quick update: LittleFoot has been here for 2 weeks now. He's still a little shy guy but I'm getting way better at this. Today after he's done soaking, I'm going to try getting him to eat some squash.
Here's his food LIKES list: spring mix, dandelion, kale, strawberries, mango, green peppers.
DISLIKES: so far collard greens and mustard greens won't touch them!!

I ordered some Mazuri pellets so hopefully they will be here sometime this week!

I got acrylic for the top of his tank and I haven't seen the humidity drop down below 80% so I'm really happy about that. Hopefully today I'll be able to finally add all the plants I got last weekend.

I got a scale today, the little guy weighs 183 grams. He's 4 inches long. I know the person I got him from said that he has had him for about 2.5 years and that he was tiny when he got him. I'm going to assume he's about 3.5 years old?

How does the growth pattern for tortoises work? Is he going to be this tiny forever now? Or is there a chance he can get some more size to him? I'm assuming he's a cherry head RF because of his colors on his head and I know those are smaller than typical redfoots but I'm just wondering what to expect.

Luckie

5 Year Member
OOhhhhhh allllright! Since you asked!! He's a bit camera shy but he's learning that this is a new way of life :)

Attachments

• IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    904.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 59

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
It would be tough to predict exactly how Lucky will grow from this point forward. Certainly- with better cares, diet, and hydration he will grow more quickly than in the past.

Will he 'catch up'? Possibly, but stunted bone growth often remains stunted to some extent for life. I predict he will continue to get better, healthier, bigger, and so on, but beyond that would just be a random guess.

Luckie

5 Year Member
Thanks for the optimism guys! And Terry I agree, I absolutely adore him teeny tiny or not!!

lucky

5 Year Member
OMG, that's so pretty! A cute little tort with a cute marbled head! My tortoise is an African sulcata and is called... Lucky! How did YOU come up with the name?!<3<3

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I think that the introduction of mazuri in his diet will make all the difference in the world. I think that if an otherwise tortoise isn't growing, he is getting enough nutrition to stay alive, but not enough to grow. If I'm not mistaken, redfoot diet includes some animal protein. I would add this as well. I think he can be turned around,and get to a normal size, but I don't think greens alone will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.