Stupid fedex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
I just got a call from fedex that my tortoise is on delay....
It supposed to be deliver today morning with overnight shipping,
Fedex gotta be joking with me.If it doesnt come by morning then its not a overnight shipping and if the tortoises die. are they gonna pay for my tortoise? man i hate all the big company like ups,fedex. They always deliver late and someone from ups even tried to stole my order so i actually caught him..... Stupid fedex..... ups......

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I hear you, of course it's worse with the Tortoise, but I had a gift for my nephew coming in and it was delayed from thursday to friday. Friday afternoon I checked tracking and it said delivered, I called Fedex and the person said and explained I was home all day waiting and nothing came, she said did you check your bushes or your backyard, you might even check your neighbors hoses and or bushes. I was shocked. I checked and called back and was told they probably marked it delivered and went on home, they will be out to deliver it in the morning.... again I hung up in shock, because after talking to several people on the phone it was quite clear that was standard procedure with some drivers.

I have had UPS deliver packages to the wrong franchise often, they saw Fastsigns and just took it to any fastsigns.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am going to defend my personal Fedex and UPS staff, but am sorry you have perhaps gotten a bad one. My delivery people handle my packages on this last stage of shipping, like it is something very valuable and sensitive (which it is). In the past they have run their route out of order, to get my box here as soon as possible.

In the past, they did take it to the neighbors house once. The reason was I did not hear them at the door and rather then leave the live tortoise outside, they took it to the neighbor to keep it inside their house. That was a smart and caring thing to do. ;)

For some of us (and you may be one of us) we get the pleasure of paying more and getting less service. Here where I live, the overnight shipment means it will get to me normally around 4 p.m..

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Yea, it's all about the driver, we've had a couple great UPS drivers in our residential area and the last FedEx lady was great, my torts were on time and she had lots of questions. Of course I had one Fedex driver delivering my CNC equipment and when I went out there she was just rolling it and dropping it, I jumped in the truck to give her a hand, I don't blame her, she was probably 105 pounds wet, it's a 2 person job to move the machine, she was just trying to do her job, but it was very expensive piece of machinery.

I don't think I would order any torts any where near the holidays, those poor drivers are doing all they can to keep up.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Give them time. I have had 3 live animals delivered by FedEx overnight. And only one came abit overdue time but in the same day it was supposed to be here so everything was good. The box was in good shape, the animal was in good health and I still have him well over a year later. Now both reptiles I ordered got here on time with no problems also. Something I like doing when ordering liver animals, I like to buy and order one from the states closest to me. Never had any problems so far. Btw, the last 2 times I had my orders, it was delivered by the same FedEx guy and I meet him in the mornings. So Im hoping for future orders, I get my same FedEx delivery guy :).

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
My UPS guy is really nice and does a good job. He does all the deliveries to businesses and stuff first during the day so I usually get my stuff after 3pm. If no one's home, he'll leave it and then come back later that day and make sure we saw it and got it or hold onto it and wait for us to get home. He's afraid of our Lhasa Apso though, which is kind of funny.

If there's a problem when you get it and open it, I would think that it ultimately is in the hands of the breeder/company rather than you. Isn't that how it usually goes as long as you are home when they deliver and it's not left outside or brought back to the facility because no one was home at the time of first delivery, etc.?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Assuming the shipper is an authorized live animal shipper with FedEx, I do believe that FedEx will insure the animal. I've never heard of anyone loosing an animal in a shipment so I don't know exactly how the process works if you end up losing the tortoise. I would also assume whoever sent you the tortoise used a heat pack? The tortoise should be just fine in there for a long time.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Some breeders or sellers will guarantee live arrival if you are home. If it happens to be a DOA. I always read over their terms before ordering.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
It all depends on the driver, I tend to like Fedex more than UPS... just because I did have more issues with UPS. But I honestly wouldn't worry about it... one time ups left my package outside with my leopard and it was 20F out and it was there for 6 or so hours.. the tort was fine. Then there was that incident a month or two ago where the seller mixed up my order :p
instead of 2 leopards I got 15 sulcatas! So he gave us new labels and we had to ship it to each other again so that was a delay and half. But everything turned out fine.... just make sure to soak them in some warm water and give them some food and they should be just fine! I know its very frustrating but just look foward to the little buggers eyes opening !

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
Give them time. I have had 3 live animals delivered by FedEx overnight. And only one came abit overdue time but in the same day it was supposed to be here so everything was good. The box was in good shape, the animal was in good health and I still have him well over a year later. Now both reptiles I ordered got here on time with no problems also. Something I like doing when ordering liver animals, I like to buy and order one from the states closest to me. Never had any problems so far. Btw, the last 2 times I had my orders, it was delivered by the same FedEx guy and I meet him in the mornings. So Im hoping for future orders, I get my same FedEx delivery guy :).

Not all of them are bad but they just dont care about customers and i have bad reputations. One time i ordered iphone from ups one of the driver actually tried to stole my phone and it ended up making me call the customer service and caught him while delivering. I just dont like them. Have so much problems.

Mao Senpai said:
It all depends on the driver, I tend to like Fedex more than UPS... just because I did have more issues with UPS. But I honestly wouldn't worry about it... one time ups left my package outside with my leopard and it was 20F out and it was there for 6 or so hours.. the tort was fine. Then there was that incident a month or two ago where the seller mixed up my order :p
instead of 2 leopards I got 15 sulcatas! So he gave us new labels and we had to ship it to each other again so that was a delay and half. But everything turned out fine.... just make sure to soak them in some warm water and give them some food and they should be just fine! I know its very frustrating but just look foward to the little buggers eyes opening !

Ya ups are more pain in the ***. This is first time wit fedex but ups alot of times. Ok i will soak them asap thanks

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Mao Senpai said:
Then there was that incident a month or two ago where the seller mixed up my order :p
instead of 2 leopards I got 15 sulcatas!

I would had kept the 15 sulcatas for the price of the 2 leopards and left it at that...:D

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
Mao Senpai said:
Then there was that incident a month or two ago where the seller mixed up my order :p
instead of 2 leopards I got 15 sulcatas!

I would had kept the 15 sulcatas for the price of the 2 leopards and left it at that...:D

Well at first I was like hey this is... pretty awesome. BUT I live in a fairly small apartment with no access to an outdoor lawn area so.. it was kinda like oh geez I want nothing to do with these since I had no plans and couldn't make plans to get them situated. But it was very cool to see all of them though hehe...

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Neal said:
Assuming the shipper is an authorized live animal shipper with FedEx, I do believe that FedEx will insure the animal. I've never heard of anyone loosing an animal in a shipment so I don't know exactly how the process works if you end up losing the tortoise. I would also assume whoever sent you the tortoise used a heat pack? The tortoise should be just fine in there for a long time.

He did use heatpacks but it usually last only for 10 hours. For my shippment because of delay, it might take more than that. Im worried because its a baby tortoise.

pk2610

5 Year Member
When I ordered my hatchling last time (the first time also) I was so worried. It took about 17 hours to get to me. In fact FedEx delivered an hour before the promoised time of 10:30 a.m. for overnight deliverery and the little thing was just fine. THe head pad was still warm when I opened the box. I think if the baby is raised healthy and well packed then it should be OK. I do hope everything works out for you this time.

clarkrw3

10 Year Member!
Tempe, AZ
I lost a adult Panther Chameleon this way...delivered 4 hrs late and got cooked in the truck in early May in AZ. I was in contact with Fedex the whole time and they were contacting the driver who said 3 times I am 20 min out. They covered the shipping but would not cover the animal in any way! They stated that they do not guarantee live delivery!! This animal was shipped with SYR so I would think if they would cover an animal it would be with SYR. Now I get all animals delivered to my office where I always get overnight delivered by 9:30am.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Neal said:
Assuming the shipper is an authorized live animal shipper with FedEx, I do believe that FedEx will insure the animal. I've never heard of anyone loosing an animal in a shipment so I don't know exactly how the process works if you end up losing the tortoise.

Unfortunately, FedEx won't insure the animal. Part of the "live animal authorization" process requires you to sign a paper that specifically says they aren't responsible for the animal not making it there alive. In their defense, they don't know that the animal was alive to begin with, so for them to back that up is just asking for trouble (for them).

If the box is lost or destroyed, they will insure it for the claim value.... If you don't enter a value, they cover up to $100. If you claim $100 and then ship $500 worth of animals and the box is lost, they will cover it for the $100. If you claim that the box is $500, they'll insure it for that (if it's destroyed or lost), but they'll charge you extra for anything over $100 that you claim (the higher your claim value is, the more expensive the shipment is going to be). In any case, they won't guarantee the animal made it there alive.

Since shipments are almost never lost or destroyed, there's no real reason to put a claim value higher than $100. You can put a claim value of $300, but if the animals get there dead, they still aren't going to cover it (and you just paid more for the additional coverage). In years and years of shipping, I can think of one box that was destroyed, and it was from a UPS truck catching on fire with my Russian tortoise shipment in it.

SYR offers live arrival insurance for an additional cost, but there are some requirements along with it (like that you can't ship when low temps are below 38, from what I have been told). Makes any winter shipping pretty hard to do. I've never shipped with SYR, so I don't know the details or requirements of the insurance they offer.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
OK, I just misunderstood something then.

pi01

5 Year Member
South Carolina
I use to buy and ship a lot of live coral and learned to use the hold service. Instead of it being put on a truck, exposed to the elements and stress created by the movement it will be delivered to a shelf in a office and wait for you to pick up. In addition, mY local fedex hold facility is open at 8am. A much better alternative.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
I'm expecting a package from Fedex today as well (nothing alive tho). When I checked the tracking, it said some packages may be delayed due to snow/ice in KY.

My UPS man is awesome! He even gave me his cell number so I can call him if I'm expecting something that needs to be signed for. If have to go out, I call him and meet up with him to sign and get my goodie.

Hope your baby arrives safely!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
FedEx has always been a good service for me. Usually ahead of the expected time. I know it can a stressful time when one is waiting for a live package to arrive. I trust that your sender is just as anxious to know that you got your delivery as well.

I hope all turns out well for you. Just take a deep breath and try to relax. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.