subspecies and sex?

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
I hope someone can help me ID my greeks subspecies and sex. I tried last year but my tort was too young (however someone though it might be an ibera greek). It is 4 inches long now.

I'd also just like to say thank you to Tom, GBtortoises, will, joesmum, yvonne and all the other members that have helped me raise my greek. I have learned so much and am still learning something new all the time. I love this forum :)

Here are the pics:
DSC_0080.JPGDSC_0081.JPGDSC_0082.JPGDSC_0083.JPGDSC_0086.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

RGB

5 Year Member
Wow! You have a beautiful tortoise!!
Very pretty/handsome colours and you have been doing a great job raising it based upon the shell shape!

Still very young to sex. I favour male. And Iberia, golden, or an ibera/golden cross would be my best guess for subspecies.

I have a few young Greeks, but Im no expert. Just thought it would be fun to get an opinion out there!
Best of luck!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Wow! Your tortoise is lovely! And I agree, lots of awesome people on this forum, always willing to help. Very, very cool. I can't wait to know what your little one is, because it sure is pretty. That shell, pretty! Experts will chime in soon ... yay! : )

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Thank you RGB and BeeBee and happy holidays! :)

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Again, beautiful tortoise you have. The patterning looks similar to mine which I'm also trying to determine the subspecies of. I look forward to finding out what we both have :)

Meg

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Let me get in a real computer and I'll probably be able to tell you. Reading this while I commute.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Jlant85 said:
Let me get in a real computer and I'll probably be able to tell you. Reading this while I commute.

Can't wait, thank you!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
base on the pattern, he looks a lot like a T. g. antakyensis

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Jlant85 said:
base on the pattern, he looks a lot like a T. g. antakyensis

Thank you, that's good to know. At what age/size can my greek's sex be determined?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
juvenile age but sometimes a later. Some will show you if you know what i mean! my hermann showed me his wee wee when i soak him... lol...

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Jlant85 said:
juvenile age but sometimes a later. Some will show you if you know what i mean! my hermann showed me his wee wee when i soak him... lol...

Haha...I'll keep a look out.

georgemybaby

Is the bottom of the shell curved or flat. If the bottom is curved its male if flat it's female

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I never see a gracea which have colors like yours! The brightest I know are the "golden Greek". So either you've got a golden Ibera Greek or an esteem subspecies like the antakyensis or terrestris. I can't say which species is is definitely! There are so much new subspecies which exist for a while and than they vanish. So do you know the area from his/her parents? From where do you got your tort?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
georgemybaby said:
Is the bottom of the shell curved or flat. If the bottom is curved its male if flat it's female

Sometimes it takes several years for the plastron to develop the male curve. The OP's tortoise is still too young to have developed the curve you're talking about.