Substrate feels a bit cold and damp

Cali1123

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield
I have a baby red foot ( just got it two days ago ) and I do have a CHE and a UVB light. The CHE is on one side of the enclosure and it gets to about 90 degrees. The middle of the enclosure is also fairly warm with about 80 degrees, but the problem is the far ( dark/cold side ) it’s about 75 right there and the substrate feels slightly cold and wet. My tortoise tends to stay under the CHE to bask or near the somewhat middle of the enclosure but it never goes to the cold side. I have it’s humid hide near the CHE so it’s nice and humid there and I have to regularly mist the enclosure to keep humidity levels up. I use cypress mulch and orchid moss on top as it’s substrate. I poor lukewarm water on all sides of the enclosure because I heard that’s a really good way to keep humidity. I’m just not sure what to do about the cold side. I read that the entire enclosure needs to be atleast 80 degrees so should I buy another heating lamp to put on the cold side or what should I do ? Any and all advice and tips will help, Thank You

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You answered your own question. :)

Some enclosures require more than one CHE or RHP to maintain ambient temps all over the whole thing.

Cali1123

Bakersfield
You answered your own question. :)

Some enclosures require more than one CHE or RHP to maintain ambient temps all over the whole thing.
Okay Thank You, I just wasn’t sure if that was the best thing to do or if there was a better way. I’m gonna try to get a closed chamber asap. Would you know if using a heavy shower curtain would be ideal ? I heard it could work well for sealing in the humidity. There’s just so many posts on this forum that contradicts each other. It’s very confusing as a new Tortoise owner.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Okay Thank You, I just wasn’t sure if that was the best thing to do or if there was a better way. I’m gonna try to get a closed chamber asap. Would you know if using a heavy shower curtain would be ideal ? I heard it could work well for sealing in the humidity. There’s just so many posts on this forum that contradicts each other. It’s very confusing as a new Tortoise owner.
I think if you look at the care sheets for your particular tortoise you will find the most agreed upon ways of raising your tortoise. I think where the confusion comes from is ill informed people answering people's questions and sending them down the wrong path. Unfortunately, there is no way to control that other then immediately pointing people to the care sheets. Spend a little time and you will soon learn who knows what they are talking about. For example, when @Tom enters the thread you will more than likely be headed in the right direction in no time. Best of luck

Cali1123

Bakersfield
I think if you look at the care sheets for your particular tortoise you will find the most agreed upon ways of raising your tortoise. I think where the confusion comes from is ill informed people answering people's questions and sending them down the wrong path. Unfortunately, there is no way to control that other then immediately pointing people to the care sheets. Spend a little time and you will soon learn who knows what they are talking about. For example, when @Tom enters the thread you will more than likely be headed in the right direction in no time. Best of luck
Yeah that’s very true thanks ! I have read the care sheets for I can stay informed. The only real problem is some people say compact uvb are bad but other say they don’t damage baby torts eyes. I have a compact so I try to keep it in the corner of the enclosure and I also take out my tort outside about 10 min a day. Also most care sheets don’t say anything about daily soaks but some people say do it once a day others say twice a day and others say only need to do it every other day. I learn so much new information everyday and it makes me feel like a bad new owner.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Yeah that’s very true thanks ! I have read the care sheets for I can stay informed. The only real problem is some people say compact uvb are bad but other say they don’t damage baby torts eyes. I have a compact so I try to keep it in the corner of the enclosure and I also take out my tort outside about 10 min a day. Also most care sheets don’t say anything about daily soaks but some people say do it once a day others say twice a day and others say only need to do it every other day. I learn so much new information everyday and it makes me feel like a bad new owner.
A bad owner would ignore the new information and let their tortoise suffer. That's not you. Soaks are good for every species and should be done as much as possible. It really becomes what your schedule can handle. Coil bulbs affect different tortoises differently so it's best to just stay away from them.

Cali1123

Bakersfield
A bad owner would ignore the new information and let their tortoise suffer. That's not you. Soaks are good for every species and should be done as much as possible. It really becomes what your schedule can handle. Coil bulbs affect different tortoises differently so it's best to just stay away from them.
Oh okay thank you so much ! I’m a Senior in High School and well due to the coronavirus pandemic and school being shut down I have lots of time on my hands. I’ve spent my time checking up on my tortoise. He still has yet to eat. I’ve tried giving him different leafy greens, bananas, and blueberries. He’s only taken a very tiny nibble and he’s done. I got him from CB reptiles so I’m worried that he may be sick ? Or maybe he’s still just trying to get used to his new enclosure I’m not really sure. He loves his soaks and always drinks the water.