Substrate for 2.4 ounce Sulcata Tortoise

RhondaRae

Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln Nebraska
I have a baby sulcata (2.4 ounces) that i am using ZooMed Forest Floor Bedding cypress mulch for the substrate....kind of pricey stuff...what i was wondering is how deep should this substrate be

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I have a baby sulcata (2.4 ounces) that i am using ZooMed Forest Floor Bedding cypress mulch for the substrate....kind of pricey stuff...what i was wondering is how deep should this substrate be
I have been using the same Cypress munch for my Sulcata for 5 yrs. I have always tried too keep his munch aleast deep enough for it to borrow down to cover up if it wants to hide. Just remember to keep the munch moist and the temperature up in the 80's. My Sammy is still sleeping in cypress mulch, I keep the munch in his hide about 6 to 8 inches deep. Sammy is a big boy now, he weighed 46 grams at 3 months old when I got him. Now he is just over 63 lbs at 5 yrs old. Just follow "Tom's" care instructions and you should be fine. TFO is here to help your Tortoise grow strong and healthy. Here are a couple of pictures of Sammy. One at 46 grams and One at 63 lbs. Goodluck!

Attachments

• 20220526_195622.jpg
    20220526_195622.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230409_090359_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_090359_Chrome.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
3-4 inches.

Read this and look for the sulcata thread near the bottom:

TommyTheV

San Diego, CA
I have been using the same Cypress munch for my Sulcata for 5 yrs. I have always tried too keep his munch aleast deep enough for it to borrow down to cover up if it wants to hide. Just remember to keep the munch moist and the temperature up in the 80's. My Sammy is still sleeping in cypress mulch, I keep the munch in his hide about 6 to 8 inches deep. Sammy is a big boy now, he weighed 46 grams at 3 months old when I got him. Now he is just over 63 lbs at 5 yrs old. Just follow "Tom's" care instructions and you should be fine. TFO is here to help your Tortoise grow strong and healthy. Here are a couple of pictures of Sammy. One at 46 grams and One at 63 lbs. Goodluck!

Wow that is a very healthy Sammy. And so clean too. Thanks for being an awesome keeper :)