Substrate for baby sulcata tortoise

TURTLESRUS

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, KY
Hi! I’m planning on getting a baby sulcata in a couple months and was curious about substrate.
I’ve heard that cypress mulch is one of the best things. I also heard you can mix in a bit of soil for added humidity. So I was just wondering peoples opinions! Also, if I go with the cypress mulch can I get it from hardware stores such as Home Depot instead of pet stores.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
NO soil. The best is actually fir bark which is sold for the pet trade as ReptiBark. Sadly on the West Coast they get it a nursery in big mulch bags for cheap. I use cypress mulch 2" then 1" of ReptiBark for the most cost effective measure. also what enclosure are you using and have you read this care sheet

Reactions: Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like to recommend orchid bark or coconut coir.
Please read the caresheet Blackdog linked for you. It sounds like you got some bad info.
The caresheet has all the right info.

TURTLESRUS

Louisville, KY
Please read the caresheet Blackdog linked for you. It sounds like you got some bad info.
NO soil. The best is actually fir bark which is sold for the pet trade as ReptiBark. Sadly on the West Coast they get it a nursery in big mulch bags for cheap. I use cypress mulch 2" then 1" of ReptiBark for the most cost effective measure. also what enclosure are you using and have you read this care sheet
Okay good to know. Thank you. I’ll give it a read!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
On the issue of cypress mulch, once u expand to larger & larger enclosures for your Sully, you will find that the Cypress Mulch in 2cf bags (from Lowes) works very well. On our Sully, i used a mix of coir, orchid bark & cypress mulch, eventually moving to 100% cypress mulch. Sometimes there are the odd large pieces of cypress bark, but you can toss those in the garden. It’s a good price, holds moisture, doesn’t rot/mildew, easy to find locally (at least here in Md). Just make sure you get the 100% cypress mulch, no artificial dye or additives.

For babies, stick with the coir or orchid bark.

Good luck.

TURTLESRUS

Louisville, KY
Okay good to know. Thank you. I’ll give it a read
On the issue of cypress mulch, once u expand to larger & larger enclosures for your Sully, you will find that the Cypress Mulch in 2cf bags (from Lowes) works very well. On our Sully, i used a mix of coir, orchid bark & cypress mulch, eventually moving to 100% cypress mulch. Sometimes there are the odd large pieces of cypress bark, but you can toss those in the garden. It’s a good price, holds moisture, doesn’t rot/mildew, easy to find locally (at least here in Md). Just make sure you get the 100% cypress mulch, no artificial dye or additives.

For babies, stick with the coir or orchid bark.

Good luck.
oh i see! Thank you for your reply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I’m planning on getting a baby sulcata in a couple months and was curious about substrate.
I’ve heard that cypress mulch is one of the best things. I also heard you can mix in a bit of soil for added humidity. So I was just wondering peoples opinions! Also, if I go with the cypress mulch can I get it from hardware stores such as Home Depot instead of pet stores.
Hello and welcome.

Most of the info you find out int e world for sulcata care will be wrong. I tried to watch some YT videos recently and it was appalling. The same wrong info gets repeated by person after person. Its terribly sad. Pets shops are usually even worse. Vets don't know tortoise care either, and most breeders don't even start the hatchlings correctly.

I'm glad you found us. It will change your whole tortoise keeping experience from frustrating to happy. Please feel free to ask all your questions. We are here to talk torts.

TURTLESRUS

Louisville, KY
Hello and welcome.

Most of the info you find out int e world for sulcata care will be wrong. I tried to watch some YT videos recently and it was appalling. The same wrong info gets repeated by person after person. Its terribly sad. Pets shops are usually even worse. Vets don't know tortoise care either, and most breeders don't even start the hatchlings correctly.

I'm glad you found us. It will change your whole tortoise keeping experience from frustrating to happy. Please feel free to ask all your questions. We are here to talk torts.
Thank you for the welcome! I look forward to leaning new things about torts! Might ask a lot of questions so be prepared. :)