substrate for baby Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Im going to be getting a baby sulcata at the end of the month and want to have the best home for him possible! There is SO much information on this site that its overwhelming! I have an idea of the enclosure I want to build for him I am just really confused about the best substrate...everyone says something different! This is my 1st tortoise and he is going to be the family "pet" so I want to be sure to give him what he needs! I plan to keep him indoors (with daily trips outdoors for the sun) until he is big enough for an outdoor enclosure and then we will build him his own habitat! Please help!!!!
the attached picture is what we are building for him!

Attachments

• 2013-03-05_15-31-44_551.jpg
    2013-03-05_15-31-44_551.jpg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 76

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You need something that will hold. Moisture. The only thing I do not suggest is sand. Toms threads are below my signature...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unless the entire room is warm and humid all the time, that will not be a good enclosure for a baby. Look at this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

For substrate you can use coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch or plain dirt and soil from the yard if your is the right type.

Read the links in my signature. They are full of good sulcata info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is no one-size-fits-all in tortoise-keeping. What's best for me to use for substrate might not be the best one for you. We all have our own opinions and what works best in our climate and situation.

My favorite is the fine-grade of orchid bark. But you have to try them all and decide what provides the humidity, cleanliness, moisture, ease of walking, etc. for your tortoise.

The tort table you've shown in your pictures is a beautiful tort table, but there are some things wrong with it. The sides are too short. An ingenious and inquisitive baby could easily find a way to climb out of that table. It's too open. It would be awfully hard to keep it over-all warm for the baby. Now, if you were to cover it (defeating your purpose of the beautiful room addition), that would alleviate both problems.

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
thank you all! yes Tom and Yvonne, after doing more research and reading all Toms links, we realized that the enclosure we planned on will not be moist enough for our little guy. We are still doing something similiar but we are bringing the sides up further and building a lid over half of it. This way he will have a warm/moist half and a warm/dryer half. Hopefully this will make him a happy little tort!

Kristen A

5 Year Member
I use a layer of moist "bed a beast" with a thick layer of orchard grass on top. Cirby gets moisture and food. I has worked good so far.

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
Im not sure how often it should be changed, this will be our 1st tortoise so Im new to this. But I would like to know so hopefully someone else will answer!

andy12

5 Year Member
I'm using exoterra coco bask, but it seem to change the color of them to very dark, the legs and head, hahahahahah. should i wash them before using it? but it can hold the humidity more than 90 if closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.