Substrate for Hermann's?

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
I have a Hermann's tortoise and I have been using repti-bark because thats what she had in her enclosure when I got her but now, im starting to think that she might like a different kind of substrate in her enclosure and it gets all kinds of nasty when it gets wet so, after a while, the substrate under her water dish gets funky and when I changed her bark out last time I found, what looked like, some fuzzy mold and im assuming thats not good for her either. So, my question is, what kind of substrate should I swap for the Repti-bark? I would prefer an answer that focuses specifically on Hermann's. Thank you so much for the help. Its much appreciated.

Flipper

Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
I just got a Hermann and I mixed top soil and wetted down Pete moss. You need to make sure you get organic stuff with no pearlite or fertilizers in it :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I use Cypress mulch. I found that soil and coco fiber would get in my torts eyes and cause irritation (silly since isn't soil what they would encounter in the wild?? But I digress...). The key is to keep turning it up (same goes for repti-bark). It helps keep it from getting smelly/moldy/funky.

Flipper

MO, USA
I use Cypress mulch. I found that soil and coco fiber would get in my torts eyes and cause irritation (silly since isn't soil what they would encounter in the wild?? But I digress...). The key is to keep turning it up (same goes for repti-bark). It helps keep it from getting smelly/moldy/funky.
I use topsoil/Pete moss and have not had my tortoise long. She I also be turning my dirt over?

Ps. Sorry to post on your thread Tyler

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I use topsoil/Pete moss and have not had my tortoise long. She I also be turning my dirt over?

Ps. Sorry to post on your thread Tyler
Turning it over will help distribute moisture no matter what substrate, but if you're trying to grow stuff in the soil (that's why I briefly gave soil a try), I wouldn't stir it up :)

Courtney Cavender

I use a substrate that is a combination of top soil and ground up coconut fibers, I did have sand in there too but I constantly found him eating it... The good thing with substrate I use is that once I get done using it I throw it over my garden, and the turtle's leavings almost act like a fertilizer.
Hope I helped!
-Courtney Cavender