Substrate for Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedydougkerri

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, just wondering what the best substrate would be to use for a Redfoot? So far what has been suggested to us is a combination of spagnum moss with coconut fiber at the cool end for digging and burrowing as well as Orchid and Cypress bark chippings? What do you guys think and use?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I use sphagnum moss in the hides, and cypress mulch every where else for all of my redfoots and cherryhead. This is the best that I have found at holding humidity after trying various other options!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Cypress is cheap (from a home center), lightweight, effective, low-pest, low-maintenance, effective, and easy.

If you have little ones, some long-fibered sphagnum moss (like Terry (www.turtletary.com) Kilgore's beloved and useful Mosser Lee, from Home Depot or Lowes, back in the potted plant rocks and soils section) is great- tease it out, keep it damp but not wet, and use it in a warm area.

Personally, I have not had a lot of luck with coconut coir, and orchid bark (clean Douglas fir bark) is basically just a more expensive, fancier version of cypress.

When I do not use cypress, I use a 'bioactive substate' that acts like a mini compost pit and a living ecosystem. It takes a little effort to set up, but runs on its own with little work. If you are interested, I will post more about it.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I use peat moss/sand mix with cypress on top and spaghnum moss in the hides and corners.This works the best for me with the humidity.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I personally use orchid bark for the bottom layer and then I have a whole layer of sphagnum moss to keep the humidity up and for burrowing into. Whatever you use be sure that the bottom of the tort remains dry (to prevent fungus growth), but the top is moist....that's why I use the moss on the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.