Substrate from Home Depot/Lowes okay to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
I'm currently using cocount coir that I purchased from Petco but since I am building a large indoor enclosure for my hatchling sully and I need ALOT more substrate, I wasn't sure if it was safe to purchase the substrates from home depot/lowes. I am planning on using a mixture of both coconut coir and cypress mulch (both sold at my local home depot), but I am not sure if the ones they sell are treated with stuff that might be harmful to my sully. Any insight to this would be helpful. Otherwise, I don't mind just getting the stuff at the petstore even though its much more expensive.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
oh never mind... i see INDOOR now...
garden centers may have Top Soil.. make sure there is no fertilizer in it. It shoud say on the bag...

I'd go with the first one.. more fine..

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi,

Cypress mulch from HD or Lowes is OK, read the label closely for 'added' ingredients, like weed suppressing agents etc. I have not ever found these included in wood mulches that are 'types' like cypress or licorice root, but every year some new thing comes into those stores.

Will

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Laura said:
oh never mind... i see INDOOR now...
garden centers may have Top Soil.. make sure there is no fertilizer in it. It shoud say on the bag...

I'd go with the first one.. more fine..

does top soil hold humidity as well as the others? i have no experience with it, but it is alot cheaper than the rest

Will said:
Hi,

Cypress mulch from HD or Lowes is OK, read the label closely for 'added' ingredients, like weed suppressing agents etc. I have not ever found these included in wood mulches that are 'types' like cypress or licorice root, but every year some new thing comes into those stores.

Will

thank Will, i will keep that in mind

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
[/quote]

does top soil hold humidity as well as the others? i have no experience with it, but it is alot cheaper than the rest

Will said:
Hi,

Top Soil, as it is called - varies by region. It is not economical for a central source to ship to all those big box hardware stores. Each region packages a mix of 'stuff' that is local and cheap. When I was in NJ/PA area, it really was top soil, here in northern CA, it is ground wood, same exact package.

Depending on where you are you might try "supersoil" without the added fertilizer or moisture retaining agents. It is uniformly made and shipped. It is more expensive than cypress mulch, but if you seek a soil it is good.

It will hold moisture well, but like most soils, it is sorta sticky (wet dirt), and the tortos will get it everywhere.

Will

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have been getting mine from lowes for years and have 2 huge bundles in my wifes trunk right now. I will post a pic if I can Saturday morning

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using hardware store bedding for many years. No problems to report. You just have to buy the right kind.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Thanks all for the help. I'll be trying out some topsoil/cypress mulch from home depot.

tortoisefanatic

5 Year Member
When I've used mulch from either store, I have to microwave small batches of it to kill all the little bugs that get in the bags. Other than that, a good economical way to buy cypress mulch.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
I'm currently building a indoor enclosure too and I was told top soil could be bad because you risk dirt in the eye and getting infection. Is that true or was I lied to?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Livingstone said:
Tom could you tell us what kind you are using.

I did a post of some stuff that I really liked a couple of years ago, but I can't find the post now. It was basically orchid bark. I think they called it "Pathway bark" at Lowes. I have also used cypress mulch, various soils and the peat moss stuff that is like dirt or fine coco coir.

Here. I found it pictured in this thread.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-14680.html

AcidElvis said:
I'm currently building a indoor enclosure too and I was told top soil could be bad because you risk dirt in the eye and getting infection. Is that true or was I lied to?

I don't think this is accurate. Sounds like they were talking about sand. When I have used soils in the past I like to pack it down with my hand so they have a more solid footing. The main reason I don't use soil is because it is really hard to find it with out a bunch of additives in it. You can't use it with fertilizers, guano, perlite etc... At least not for a full time sole substrate in an indoor enclosure. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.