SUBSTRATE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dill_k

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga Ca
Tired of spending a fortune on my reptiles because of ecoearth! Anyone know somewhere to buy soil with no additives?! Iv been to home depot and lowes and had no luck :/ any suggestions?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You could try buying the coir from a garden supply store, it should be cheaper than eco earth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only replace my coir once a year. Even then you can boil or bake it and reuse it. Also, finding it online is the cheapest.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I emailed and phoned the Scott's/Miracle Grow company a few months back asking what they put in their organic potting soil. Both contacts said the exact same thing: it has compost, sphagnum moss and pasteurized chicken litter. NO CHEMICALS, according to them. If you decide to try it, make sure you get the BROWN bags labeled Miracle Gro ORGANIC POTTING SOIL. We each have to decide how much we trust information from the makers. Good luck with whatever you try.

Dill_k

5 Year Member
Rancho Cucamonga Ca
jaizei said:
You could try buying the coir from a garden supply store, it should be cheaper than eco earth.

Thanks ill try and give it a shot

wellington said:
I only replace my coir once a year. Even then you can boil or bake it and reuse it. Also, finding it online is the cheapest.

Wow thats a long time! I wanna try to buy it in a store because i hate waiting for shiping!

Moozilion said:
I emailed and phoned the Scott's/Miracle Grow company a few months back asking what they put in their organic potting soil. Both contacts said the exact same thing: it has compost, sphagnum moss and pasteurized chicken litter. NO CHEMICALS, according to them. If you decide to try it, make sure you get the BROWN bags labeled Miracle Gro ORGANIC POTTING SOIL. We each have to decide how much we trust information from the makers. Good luck with whatever you try.

Im scared to try because i dont know how much i can trust them. Ill have to think about it. If you decied to use it please let me know

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Dill_k

5 Year Member
Rancho Cucamonga Ca

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
i've used both gardeners and earthgro brand top soil and potting soil with no issues at all. $2-3 at home depot and lowe's for 1 cu ft bag.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Watsonpartyof4 said:
wellington said:
Check this out. http://compare.ebay.com/like/110814042892?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

This is how I bought mine in approx. June/July 2011. I went through more of it in the beginning. Kept getting bugs and was throwing it out and replacing. Now I bake it first. Just used the last of it last month. Only have to wait for the shipping once.

How do you bake it ? I am going to order!

I leave it in the brick form and place on a tinfoil lined cookie sheet. I bake it at 250 for about 2-3hours. If you buy the loose bag stuff, spread it out on a tinfoil lined cookie sheet and bake 250 for about 1-2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.