Substrate - outside enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Everyone!

I am not a happy camper today! I tried my best to find Cypress mulch but no one knows what I am talking about!!!! Well they know but they tell me "no we never had that product and never will" some of them look at me as if I am a "weirdo" They all try to sell me Cedar, pine or Fir bark!!! I went everywhere!!!!! I wanted to put some in the outside enclosure I am making for Hermy and Popcorn. I want to put some top soil and I wanted to put something else like cypress mulch. Since I cant find any maybe I will buy some Cocohusk? What do you guys think of cocohusk for an outside enclosure?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Same here Isa!! We ended up ordering it online. A lady at a high end nursery( my final attempt to find it) told me it is only in the south. I will ask Rob where he ordered it and post the link. They also have small bags of it at Petco but it is expensive for the amount we need.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Good idea! I will see if I can find it online :). I cant order it from the USA since they will it will not pass the border and the pet stores where I live do not sell it :( Thanks for the advice Erin :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe fir bark is ok, the smaller sized or 'fine'. So that should be ok for the outside along with topsoil, etc., if the stores have it.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ii don't know where you are, but I went to Home Depot and Lowe's website and picked the store closests to me. When I got the store located, I put in Cypress Mulch and it gave me 3 options that could only be picked up at the store. I had to look closely at them, because I did not want any with the secondary wood being cedar or pine.

The site did say they were only available in-store and not available thru web order.

There is a pet bedding that is made of Cypress Mulch, I believe it is Zoo-Med Forrest Floor. I think you should be able to order on line or get it at a pet store. Although it is the expensive choice.

Hope this helps

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi DixieParadise, where are you located?

I have been to Lowes, Home Depot, Wal- Mart, Moscarillo's Nursery and a few other local USDA mom and pop's and they all acted as if I was asking for something they have never heard of. I even asked Home Depot if they could call around and get some Cypress Mulch shipped from another store and they said they could, but only if i bought it by the tractor-trailer full.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Fir bark is fine. At pet stores there is Zoo Med Reptibark, and Home Depot/Lowes should have it as Orchid Bark.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
CT, I am in Texas. I sent you a PM.

I think the Home Depot employees get confused about the mulches, because each area has so many different ones. Here they want everyone to use Texas Native which is made from Cedar. So, the inexperienced workers just don't really know what they are talking about. Best way I have found is just research it yourself.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I used a mixture of soil, coco coir, and orchid bark in my outdoor enclosure.

IMG_0422.jpg
[/align]

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
DixieParadise said:
Hey Tico, nice job!! That's how I want mine to look when I get my cinder blocks

Thanks Dixie, for now mine is an above ground planter that I converted.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the help everyone :).
@ Lynnedit, Fir is a conifer and as such gives off obnoxious fumes. I would personally not use this type of bark or mulch but thank you for the idea :).
I went to back to the store very not happy and the guy wanted us to buy hemlock, Does anybody know this kind of mulch?
@ Dixie, thanks for the info :), I will check how much it cost if I order it from the net (since obviously in the pet stores near my house, they only sell exo terra products :rolleyes: .
@ Vinnie, Thanks for the idea, I really like what it looks like, I will see if I can find Organic orchid bark around here.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hemlock mulch is the kind of mulch I have under my playscape and around my yard. The only thing I can tell you is that according to the a spca it is non-toxic for dogs. That was the only concern we had when we purchased it.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Isa I hope you find something that works well for Hermy and Popcorn. That is great that you went all over for them though. I know it is hard to find. The only place I found it was through Tyler, but it's not cheap that way. Good luck and we haven't seen pictures of your little guys in quite some time. :)

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
CtTortoiseMom said:
Same here Isa!! We ended up ordering it online. A lady at a high end nursery( my final attempt to find it) told me it is only in the south. I will ask Rob where he ordered it and post the link. They also have small bags of it at Petco but it is expensive for the amount we need.

The Agway in Southington can actually order mulch for ya. I got uhh I think it was 3 cubic feet bags for like 4-5 dollars and it was a nice big bag. Since I moved... down here you can get cypress at the grocery store lol :(
From my understanding.... cypress grows in moist or swampy areas and well I live in such an area so it's all over the place.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Erin, I will google it and see what I can find :)
Candy, long time no speak, I am glad to see you online :) It has been a while since I haven't post pics of my 2 babies. Thanks for the idea, I will take pics this week :D, you will see, Hermy is now a little man and Popcorn is not a tinny baby anymore :).

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ticothetort2 said:
I used a mixture of soil, coco coir, and orchid bark in my outdoor enclosure.

IMG_0422.jpg
[/align]

Tico looks so cute under his little tree. Nice enclosure.

I had the same problem. No one had cyprus mulch. Ended up buying it at Petsmart and it was expensive.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Isa said:
Thanks for the help everyone :).
@ Lynnedit, Fir is a conifer and as such gives off obnoxious fumes. I would personally not use this type of bark or mulch but thank you for the idea :).
I went to back to the store very not happy and the guy wanted us to buy hemlock, Does anybody know this kind of mulch?
@ Dixie, thanks for the info :), I will check how much it cost if I order it from the net (since obviously in the pet stores near my house, they only sell exo terra products :rolleyes: .
@ Vinnie, Thanks for the idea, I really like what it looks like, I will see if I can find Organic orchid bark around here.

Oh, I believe Orchid bark (I have seen a lot of members use it mixed with other products like organic soil, peat moss, etc.), is made from Western fir bark. Most seem to choose the fine grade orchid bark.
Here is one post:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Is-this-the-orchid-bark-everyone-rants-about#axzz1N8ojcGW3
Anyway, I guess it depends on what kind of product you can find in your area of the country or world!

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
CtTortoiseMom said:
Wow, thank's Mao!! I will check it out!

No problem! I lost the phone number but you can call them, ask them to order it and they'll call you when it comes in and then drive down there pick it up and pay for it. I think it took a week and half when I did it so that's not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.