Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
lynnedit said:
Isa said:
Thanks for the help everyone :).
@ Lynnedit, Fir is a conifer and as such gives off obnoxious fumes. I would personally not use this type of bark or mulch but thank you for the idea :).
I went to back to the store very not happy and the guy wanted us to buy hemlock, Does anybody know this kind of mulch?
@ Dixie, thanks for the info :), I will check how much it cost if I order it from the net (since obviously in the pet stores near my house, they only sell exo terra products :rolleyes: .
@ Vinnie, Thanks for the idea, I really like what it looks like, I will see if I can find Organic orchid bark around here.

Oh, I believe Orchid bark (I have seen a lot of members use it mixed with other products like organic soil, peat moss, etc.), is made from Western fir bark. Most seem to choose the fine grade orchid bark.
Here is one post:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Is-this-the-orchid-bark-everyone-rants-about#axzz1N8ojcGW3
Anyway, I guess it depends on what kind of product you can find in your area of the country or world!

You are right, Orchid bark is made from the Western fir tree. I did not know that, thanks for the info :)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Isa said:
Good idea! I will see if I can find it online :). I cant order it from the USA since they will it will not pass the border and the pet stores where I live do not sell it :( Thanks for the advice Erin :)

We're sailing away in the same boat Isa...

Us Canadians always get the raw end of the deal. Same reason I can't get seeds from CPS.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I recently used Sphagnum peat moss I bought from walmart (2.2 cu ft) for $8.99. I had enough to put in a 50 gallon tank AND in a 3x5 outdoor enclosure. I even have seeds growing in the tank...I don't have soil in there either.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
FernandoM said:
I recently used Sphagnum peat moss I bought from walmart (2.2 cu ft) for $8.99. I had enough to put in a 50 gallon tank AND in a 3x5 outdoor enclosure. I even have seeds growing in the tank...I don't have soil in there either.

I use that too, it's nice stuff.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
SnakeyeZ said:
Isa said:
Good idea! I will see if I can find it online :). I cant order it from the USA since they will it will not pass the border and the pet stores where I live do not sell it :( Thanks for the advice Erin :)

We're sailing away in the same boat Isa...

Us Canadians always get the raw end of the deal. Same reason I can't get seeds from CPS.

I already ordered seeds from CPS and if you do not order grass, it should be fine. I called at the border and they transferred me to Agriculture and Agri food Canada and I asked them if I could import the seeds I wanted to order and one by one the lady checked and if I remember correctly, the only thing that was illegal in what I wanted to import was grass, you cant import grass in Canada and the package as to be well identified and the company CPS too. I had not problem and got my shipment :).

FernandoM said:

Thanks for the idea Fernando :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Isa, are you making a raised planter, kind of like Tico's? When I make my outdoor enclosures, I usually make them on the ground and just use whatever dirt/soil is already there. Just a thought I had...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Tom said:
Isa, are you making a raised planter, kind of like Tico's? When I make my outdoor enclosures, I usually make them on the ground and just use whatever dirt/soil is already there. Just a thought I had...

It will be on the groud but since Hermy eats the soil as if it was Cactus pear, I did not want to leave soil without grass on it. I wanted to plant my seeds in the soil and makes little road of mulch that he could walk on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.