Substrate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I've had Ralph for about a year now and I have been using a mixture of 50% coconut coir and 50% sand, but it seemed to be really dry, so I started using more coconut coir, but it's still really really dry, should I stop using sand all together or what should I do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jessica:

I've never been a fan of the coir. For indoor habitats I mainly use dirt for the box turtles and cypress mulch for everybody else. Since you're talking about a Russian tortoise, and they really like to dig, I'd opt more for something he can bury himself in. Do you have a spot outside where you can dig up some dirt that hasn't been touched by human hand in quite a while? Mix some good dirt from outside with the coir and see if you don't like that better.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
i dont use sand in my mix , i use coco coir and cypress mulch about a 50/50 mix ... works fine for me i add a bit of water to it every other day when i do my soakings for my torts but i can go about 4 to 5 days with out doing that the top gets dry but under that its is still wet ... that works for me , what are the temps in your set up , that might be why its drying out fast ...

Status
Not open for further replies.