Substrate Sticking to Food

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello guys. I usually soak my tortoises foods before putting them into their enclosure so they get hydrated. I use this organic forest floor bedding and my tortoises actually like it a lot but when I put their soaked food into the enclosure the bedding sticks to the food. Do you guys have any advices? I have been using this substrate for 4 months now. Do the tortoises get harmed if they eat it? Thanks.

Attachments

• tortoisesubstrate.jpg
    tortoisesubstrate.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6

Gizmo The Mighty

South Dakota
Moving from lurk mode to post mode....

Tiny pieces of Forest Floor won't hurt them if swallowed, but larger pieces may present an impaction risk. I would suggest giving them a generously-sized plate (relative to their size) to eat from so that the amount of substrate coming in contact with food is minimized.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually I would use a large then their size plate or flat piece of ceramic tile or even a shoe tray to feed them on. This gives a bigger space for the food to spread before getting on the substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello guys. I usually soak my tortoises foods before putting them into their enclosure so they get hydrated. I use this organic forest floor bedding and my tortoises actually like it a lot but when I put their soaked food into the enclosure the bedding sticks to the food. Do you guys have any advices? I have been using this substrate for 4 months now. Do the tortoises get harmed if they eat it? Thanks.
Use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for a food bowl. The concavity tends to hold the food in the bowl and minimizes contact with the substrate. The texture offers good traction to tortoise feet. I keep two on hand for food and two for water. When the food bowl gets soiled, I simply remove it and pop the clean one in its place. Then I clean the soiled one and let it air dry in the sun.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What kind of tortoises are they and what food are you giving them? Any pictures of them?

Kansas
What kind of tortoises are they and what food are you giving them? Any pictures of them?
I have 3 greeks and a hermann's tortoise. Their diet is Romaine lettuce, plantain, dandelions, hibiscus, frisee, clovers, rose petals, globe artichoke, couch grass, mulberry leaves and carrots. I put calcium powder on their foods. I give the carrots once a month for a treat and I also sometimes give them pellets.

megarathebes

Arkansas
Use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for a food bowl. The concavity tends to hold the food in the bowl and minimizes contact with the substrate. The texture offers good traction to tortoise feet. I keep two on hand for food and two for water. When the food bowl gets soiled, I simply remove it and pop the clean one in its place. Then I clean the soiled one and let it air dry in the sun.
Hey that's what I use! I have 2 as well but it's to seperate protein and veggies to monitor feeding more.