substrate stuck to skin folds

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claireabbo

my tort will burrow and he will get substrate stuck on his skin, ive tried to get it off but he wont stretch out far enough for me to get it. i have tried soaking him but when i try to wash it off with water he wont cooperate. how should i go about doing this?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
What kind of substrate? Where is it located? Is it causing the tortoise harm?

Keep in mind that usually a little substrate stuck on them is actually okay and natural. Tortoises are meant to be a bit on the dirty side, not always shiney shell time. The mud sticking to them in the wild may help blend them into their surroundings, it may serve to hold in moisture, too so for them it may feel okay to have it stuck to them. Of course if it is causing skin problems or problems walking or retracting into their shell, then yes it should be removed.

You may have to even gently, but firmly hold onto a leg (guessing that is where the problem is coming in at) to get in where you need to be. May need to have somebody else helping as they can be stubborn and very strong critters, which is always a bit unexpected I think. Just be glad your working with a Russian, not a sulcata. :D What are you using to dry dislodging it, when soakings alone are not working?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Generally if they are doing well otherwise, I don't think it bothers them. I believe they stay pretty sandy/dirty out in the wild. Soaking will help, but not necessarily get them clean.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Maybe some pressurized water? I'm thinking about one of those nasal bulbs or something...

C

Claireabbo

well it isnt effecting him and isnt doing any harm. it just kind of irritates me hehehe i feel like it would irritate me but i guess it doesnt irritate him. :D

C

Claireabbo

haha yeah i have noticed that :) heheh some amazing creature though! :D even if they are like pigs! :D hehehhe

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Yeah,they're not concerned with appearances. Never seen one grooming. LOL

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
i made a remark about my sulcata being dirty too and having dirt stick in him arms.It bugs me too but he seems to love it so i let him be as long as he can move around and its not jabbing him in the eye or anything.lol dirty little buggers :p

C

Claireabbo

well yeah :) does anyone know that if it is more humid a russian tort will be more active?

Status
Not open for further replies.