Substrate to improve drainage in large outdoor enclosure

taymag

Location (City and/or State)
FL
What substrate can I use for a large outdoor enclosure besides dirt (need to be able to buy in bulk)? I would love to be able to use something that would naturally work its way down in the dirt to loosen it up like mulch does (I know I cant use mulch), my "dirt" gets pretty compact not allowing it to drain

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
What substrate can I use for a large outdoor enclosure besides dirt (need to be able to buy in bulk)? I would love to be able to use something that would naturally work its way down in the dirt to loosen it up like mulch does (I know I cant use mulch), my "dirt" gets pretty compact not allowing it to drain

How about sand?

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
So, I’m a bit confused. One of the reasons to keep tortoises outdoors is that you can use the natural soil, and not even need an additional substrate. Will your enclosures outdoors be bare earth? Or will it somehow be in an enclosure that you would need to fill the bottom with substrate?

taymag

FL
So, I’m a bit confused. One of the reasons to keep tortoises outdoors is that you can use the natural soil, and not even need an additional substrate. Will your enclosures outdoors be bare earth? Or will it somehow be in an enclosure that you would need to fill the bottom with substrate?
Its bare dirt (earth) right now, sand is different though. They have been outside for years but as time goes on the dirt becomes more compact since you cant grow grass in it since they eat it all

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use bagged mulch.
It builds up pretty fast and eventually degrades into the soil.
Here in rainy south Florida, I'd be screwed without it.
I reccomend hand sifting the mulch because I pretty regularly find metal and plastic in it.

taymag

FL
I use bagged mulch.
I reccomend hand sifting the mulch because I pretty regularly find metal and plastic in it.

I'm in Palm Beach, where do you get your mulch? I don't know that I have ever found any "natural" mulch, everything seems to be treated or dyed

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Red dyed mulch from the Home Depot.
In the 12-15 years or so that I've been using it, there's never been an issue.
My Redfoot do not eat it and it lasts about a year.
Then I just dump more on top of it.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
I also use mulch like Zeropilot....but I use Cypress Mulch since it is readily available in my area. I can typically buy 3 large bags for $10.. It works great, and eventually turns to soil. You can see the mulch in this picture. The dirt area along the side is planted with a broadleaf seed mix especially for tortoises....It fills in very quickly and gives them fresh weeds to munch on. You can see it is just starting to come up in this picture. The mulch also makes it easy to plant other plants in the enclosure. This is a new enclosure, so all of the plants are still fairly small....but they will grow in and provide nice shade and food options as well.

Attachments

• RF Enclosure 9-23-19 7.jpg
    RF Enclosure 9-23-19 7.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 32

taymag

FL
I bought 10 bags today, pretty excited to get some drainage and appeal to the dirt, not sure why it took me years and years to realize I could use this

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
I use bagged mulch.
I use bagged mulch.

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
I live in "Rainy" Louisiana. My outside enclosure for 3 - 20++lbs Sulcata's (Curly, Larry and Moe) is 10' X 30'. After some yard and house work, their area holds water after heavy rains. Bottom is dirt. I need something (Mulch??) to raise the bottom Level. I thought that you shouldn't use the colored Mulch. What would be best to get, to let the water soak under/through and not be bad for the Tort's?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a standing water problem, you can dig in a French drain. Dig a trench that has a gentle slope away from the tortoise enclosure and out under the fence. Then put in a PVC pipe that has holes punched in it (they sell these). Cover the PVC with some sort of landscape cloth to keep the dirt out of the holes and refill the trench. This should carry standing water away from the tortoise yard.

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
I've tried that but the pasture next to the enclosure is much higher and slops down toward the Tort's. If it "ever" dries enough, I am putting wood planks to redirect any water run-off. I have them inside now (they have a room of their own inside) as temps went from 70's to 20's within 24 hours. But, they are getting to big for me to lug them up and down the steps. They do rather be inside. Ha-Ha