Substrate with live plants

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus EU
I have come across this substrate design that seems to work well. Living in a dry area, I particularly like the idea of having a moist microclimate available right below the surface.

Skip to minute 6:00 for the substrate explanation.

Has anyone tried something similar to this?

I have no experience with hydroponic setups and my first guess is that with stagnant water it will end up with fungus and mold a couple of months later. However, Jason Troxell (the guy in the video) seems to know what he is doing.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
@Tom you have a good experience with indoor enclosures I would appreciate your thoughts on this one

robc13

florida
I have come across this substrate design that seems to work well. Living in a dry area, I particularly like the idea of having a moist microclimate available right below the surface.

Skip to minute 6:00 for the substrate explanation.

Has anyone tried something similar to this?

I have no experience with hydroponic setups and my first guess is that with stagnant water it will end up with fungus and mold a couple of months later. However, Jason Troxell (the guy in the video) seems to know what he is doing.
That's so cool lol

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Wow! That guy has a lot of torts in one room. Most of the enclosures seem quite small for them to be housed in year round. I’d prefer to see him keep less quantity and allow more space for each animal

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
He retired from the army and moved to Arizona now has plenty of space for everything. He has a decent yt channel check it out