substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coventry, England
If its stone and chemical free i guess so.
But germs and so on may be about from stray cats, bugs etc.

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No, if this is the tortoise you brought into the country then you need to use top soil. Garden soil can contain small stones etc which will be detrimental to your tortoises health.

Have you taken the tortoise to the vets for a poo sample to be taken to check for worms?

Wild caught tortoises are reknowned for having worms and if left untreated will cause serious problems and can lead to death.

Tamie

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Then I suggest you get it to a vet as soon as possible, I understand that this may be difficult because of the circumstances it was brought in under but for this tortoises sake you really need to get this tortoise checked.

I know this as I have recently dealt with over 100 wild caught tortoises seized at Heathrow - worming is extremely important!

Tamie

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You need to have him checked out, also I would use a mix of top soil and sand. Or you can get bed a beast or eco earth which is cocnut husks. It works great and you don't have the dirt smell.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks ;), i havent seen a poo yet! is that a bad sign? i did when i had him in africa it came out white and brown?

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
never mind people i looked closer in his cage today and i can see poo :D, i put him in his water bowl quite alot so i know he is drinking enough :)

A

atoccy

are you bathing him daily?
This will increase his appetite and help him poo

Wendy

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
how deep water do u poeple do it in? just over the top of his legs?

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
llllshaunllll said:
how deep water do u poeple do it in? just over the top of his legs?

Hi Shaun.

You need enough water to cover the bottom side of his shell (plastron).The water should be luke warm.I use a cat litter tray to bathe my torts,and let them stay in the water for about 20 minutes.I bathe my small torts daily.Dont leave your tort on its own in the water,keep your eye on him incase he tips up.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
I bath my tortoises in luke-warm water, chin deep (or about 1mm below their front leg hinge/knee).

Also if you dont want to use soil + playsand 50/50 mixture, you can use aspen, or hemcore as their substrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.