Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz California
I was wondering what a good substrate was for a hermans tortoise could someone tell me?

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I use bed a beast and a sand mixture. I keep one area a little damp to give a area of humidity. Ive read things about having a humid hide helps with pyrimiding.

LeopardLover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maybe try some moist coconut husk or moist peat moss with some reptile safe sand. Hope that helps.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am in agreement with Tracy, I use a mixture of top soil, play sand, and bed a beast for all my torts and turts. Except the torts get timothy at one end and I mist the other end every morning.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
well you dont need to use moist substrates AT all.
you can just use aspen or hemcore full-time...
or you can use a playsand and soil mixture.
Let it dry out.
you cannot use moist substrate for hermanns tortoise cuz they come from med areas where its usually dry all the time.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You can get bed-a-beast (coconut husk) in blocks or in bags ready to pour into the enclosure. What I do is I buy the blocks and then when they come out of the bucket I throw it into the turtle pool to dry out, along with the soil and sand. That way you have dry substrate to put in the tort pens. As for my boxies they get it right out the bucket. :)

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
ALSO! do NOT i repeat DO NOT! use reptile sand, cali-sand..or similars.
only use PLAYSAND. even then it needs to be mixed with Soil or something.
Pete moss cant be used either it can cause problems.

and about the humidity i mentioned, they need heat and humidity but not lots of hit.
a pot hide or half pot hide burried into the substrates a lil' bit, sprinkle a small amount of water into the hide area and it will keep up humidity within the hide thats all they really need.

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Rees2 said:
I was wondering what a good substrate was for a hermans tortoise could someone tell me?

The best substrate is playsand/topsoil (50/50 ratio) with an area of hemp - hermanns love it.

Mist the topsoil/playsand to avoid it drying out, and it is akin to their natural environments.

Tamie

Status
Not open for further replies.