Substrate

chubu

Location (City and/or State)
oman
Hello!
So I read one of the threads here that fine grade orchid bark is a good substrate. But the one i found around my area are a bit bigger. Does that matter? I will insert a picture.
Another question is, do they hold humidity well?

Attachments

• IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1

Tinyhigg

UK
Don't mind me... I'm just being nosy here and you should wait for the experts to reply...

Is that a snake there???

(That does not look like my orchid bark... but again I know nothing of bark.............)

chubu

oman
Don't mind me... I'm just being nosy here and you should wait for the experts to reply...

Is that a snake there???

(That does not look like my orchid bark... but again I know nothing of bark.............)
Yes i couldn’t find a picture of what the substrate looked like so i found this that they used for their snake🤣🤣🤣🤣

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I am no expert either but is it a Tortoise you will be housing on it? How big is the tort? I have had the worry of putting smaller torts on 'Big' pieces of bark, and having 1 hurt it's leg(s) on shifting bark. I went to Coco Coir fine grade to avoid this.

chubu

oman
I am no expert either but is it a Tortoise you will be housing on it? How big is the tort? I have had the worry of putting smaller torts on 'Big' pieces of bark, and having 1 hurt it's leg(s) on shifting bark. I went to Coco Coir fine grade to avoid this.
Yes a tortoise. Im not sure about their age but they are like 6inchs to 7 big.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So with the legs being bigger it should not be an issue with the bark shifting causing injury. I would think what you have would be fine. It does hold moisture if it remains wet, once it dries out it takes a good soak to rehydrate it.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hello!
So I read one of the threads here that fine grade orchid bark is a good substrate. But the one i found around my area are a bit bigger. Does that matter? I will insert a picture.
This substrate looks like coco husk (chunks of coconut shell). Not the same thing as orchid bark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!
I agree that is not orchid bark.

The size does matter. They sometimes sell it in large chunks that are difficult for smaller tortoises to walk on. You want a particle size smaller than 1cm.

This substrate holds water well and contributes to adding humidity to the enclosure.