Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I would say no. They sell Cyprus mulch that isn't color treated and very affordable. My torts love to burrow in it and it holds moisture pretty well. I mix it with organic topsoil.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I would not use a colored substrate like that.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Petco sells pretty nice size bags for $7... most non pet store mulches have been known to have glass in them for some reason.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ooops...Sorry, 34King. I suggested that! I didn't catch the colored-treated part. Everyone is correct though, you can purchase un-colored cypress mulch at Lowe's or Home Depot. I do all the time. About $3 and change for a huge bag. Beats anything you can buy in a pet store.

I have never found glass or any inorganic materials in it, and I've been using the stuff for at least 4-5 years now. I do occasionally get pebbles or small chunks of rock, but those are easily removed. Still well worth the price compared to the cheapest bag at the pet shop which is twice the price for less than a third of the substrate.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
No, it is mainly pine with a red dye of unknown type. As suggested go with the cypress, I've used this as substrat on with no problems on all my herps for a number of years.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need to be very careful with everything that you put in your tort's enclosure. Substrates should be organic... meaning free from chemicals... as your tort may accidentally eat some of it or it could give off fumes that prove to be harmful.

Treated mulches in a wide open space like a yard can be used to help keep weeds at bay. But where animals (and humans for that matter) are living in close proximity, they are not good news.

34KING18

5 Year Member
CT , USA
Can you give me the link or url to this " un treated " mulch?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
34KING18 said:
Can you give me the link or url to this " un treated " mulch?

Sometimes its seasonal and sometimes its not available online. You may just have to go to the store and look around. I'll take a pic of what I get and post it later.

Only once in the past 4 years has Lowe's ever not had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.