substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rylo922

5 Year Member
What type of substrate would be best for a 5 month old russian? I bought the Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding, but I feel like it would poke him when he tries to burrow. I have read a few posts that people have recommended Eco Earth Coconut Compressed Fiber. The only concern I have about the Eco Earth is him trying to eat it and getting bound up.

Any input would be great! I am open to any ideas here!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The fine coconut coir will not cause impaction. Also, plain dirt, not sand, is great for Russians.

rylo922

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The fine coconut coir will not cause impaction. Also, plain dirt, not sand, is great for Russians.

Would you recommend the coconut coir over the forest floor bedding?

How thick should I make the coconut coir?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't like anything that is stick like. That's just my preference. I used it in the beginning, and like you said, I worried about getting an eye poked or something. Now I only use coconut coir. It doesn't mold, holds humidity well, doesn't cause impaction and I don't have to worry about anything. Russians like to burrow down, so I would say 4-6 inches deep. Dirt might be better for burrowing, as I'm not sure the coir wouldn't just keep falling in the hole they are trying to dig. See if Russian owners will chime in.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Use coco coir. 100% coco coir. Just soak the brick for about a day and they'll be good :) Or if you get the back just dump it straight in :D And coco coir is good because it's great for animals who love to burrow and it does not cause impaction (so it can be digested) and it holds humidity well :)

kmaj007

5 Year Member
For those of you who use coconut fiber, do you wet it and pack it down? I have a new russian and I decided to use the coconut fiber but its SO messy. Its all over him, his water dish and basically everything.... I dont know if I should pack it down or is it ok for him to get covered in it after he soaks?

rylo922

5 Year Member
I am not sure if I should mix the eco earth with sand or soil. If so, what kind and where do you buy these?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I have our tort table divided into different zones. The hot zone is covered in flat rocks - they get nice and warm so the torts get heat from both sides while they bask. Then there is the eating and water-dish zone, which has some of that weird fake repti carpet stuff. Then the rest of the tort table has 4 inches deep (a little deeper near the end by the hide box) of coconut coir mixed 1:1 dry weight with playsand. I have used organic dirt too (bake before using it, to kill anything that might be in it), but that made my torts look dirty all the time.
I buy the coconut coir as a brick, and mix it with warm water, then add the sand once the water is soaked up. I keep the coir in the hide box more humid, and let the stuff towards the middle dry out a bit more. My torts love to burrow down, and it's ok if it gets on their shell etc... just feed your torts on a rock, that way their beaks also get worn down a little, and they don't get as much coir on their food.

kmaj007 said:
For those of you who use coconut fiber, do you wet it and pack it down? I have a new russian and I decided to use the coconut fiber but its SO messy. Its all over him, his water dish and basically everything.... I dont know if I should pack it down or is it ok for him to get covered in it after he soaks?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I use a combination of coir and organic topsoil or sphagnum moss. It works great for hatchlings as the moss and topsoil help to keep the coir from getting to dusty. My hatchlings are provided with a humid hide where the substrate is more moist and much deeper so they can easily burrow. The rest of the enclosure is kept drier and varies in depth.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I have been using a mix of coconut coir and cypress mulch for years. Coir alone sticks to them to much IMO and unless packed down just gets too messy (but it really does no harm, it's just my personal aesthetic preference)

I've been considering adding sand to the coir and cypress mix to provide an extra something to it for when females want to dig and eventually lay.

Status
Not open for further replies.