Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

derf

5 Year Member
Would wood chipping be a good substrate for my horsefield or should i mix it with some sort of sand?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
If it is cypress or similar, yes. Beware of cedar, pine, etc (aromatic woods that can cause respiratory problems). Also beware that sometimes the wood is a mix and they will only have it in very small print on the bag; it could contain some of the "bad" wood with the "good". I personally don't think you need sand with it, but you will want to wet it down as needed to maintain the moisture. The sand is more for the coconut fiber or pure soil mixes so the tort can get some traction and it packs together better for digging burrows.

What kind of enclosure are you putting it in? If it's a tort table you may need a liner such as a heavy duty shower curtain, pond liner, or shower pan liner.

How big is the tort and how high are the enclosure sides? I might be able to give you some suggestions on substrate depth.

Best wishes!

derf

5 Year Member
Thanks for that:)

The tort is about 6-7"long. It was in a wodden table but im currently building a new enclosure based up Testudo Geek's design i found in the forum ( http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-661.html ) using totes so the side will be pretty high.

cheers

derf

5 Year Member
The substrate i was thniking of using is made of of hemp core. Its initally intended for horses, would it be suitable for tortoises?

Just decided i won't be using hemp after reading an article from the tortoise trust

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Good call on that; I have also heard no for hemp, although some swear by it.

Any other ideas?

I've heard good things about Orchid Bark and Cyprus Mulch, although I use shredded aspen myself (tried coconut coir and sand and it didn't work for us).

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I've definitely heard a no for hemp!
I'm about to change to shredded aspen, which most people swear by, and its very easy to keep clean :)

derf

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Good call on that; I have also heard no for hemp, although some swear by it.

Any other ideas?

I've heard good things about Orchid Bark and Cyprus Mulch, although I use shredded aspen myself (tried coconut coir and sand and it didn't work for us).

After doing some research I've decinded to go for a mixture of loam and play sand

Status
Not open for further replies.