Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tab

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What kind of substrate do you use? I have heard differing opinions about sand, rabbit pellets and hay...I have seen sand recommended but understand that it can cause impaction. Just curious about what most people use (I have a Russian).

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have two Russians and they are on a sand/ top soil/ bed a beast mix with Timothy ahy at one end to hide under. But do less sand more soil, if you do just sand and soil go for a 30/70 mix instead. I would not go for the pellets though, they like to bury plus I have heard problems in using the pellets but I can't remember right now what it was.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
what is the bed a breast stuff made of? is it very expensive?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It is coconut husk, there are other names for it to, eco earth. If you buy the blocks and soak it yourselve it is about 3 bucks a block, you can find it in 3 blocks which is cheaper. Good stuff and it holds moisture well and does not smell.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Right this second i am using Easibed (google it if you dunno what it is). However in a week or so ill be using Hemcore (google it again) and a small section of the enclosure will be filled with soil and playsand mixed 50/50.
=]

A

atoccy

i use sand and soil...60/40

I used to use hempcore but after reading about probs with lights and impactation I have changed. I use hemp in the bedding corner only!

Wendy

B

Bansh88

You don't want anything too soft. Their muscles will get weak. I'd just go grab some buckets of dirt from outside.

Outdoor Tortoises prefer it 4 to 1 over the leading store bought brand!

Status
Not open for further replies.