substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
I am in the process of building a tortoise table for my Russian tort. and i would like to make a little area where he could dig. I was thing using a mix of coco coir and dirt for that. I would be using coco coir everywhere else in the enclosure cause that is what i use now and like it. It is going to have live plants in it to that will be in pots so i can take them out if they need to be taken out to regrow.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
im actually growing succulents on my coco coirs! i placed a dying hens and chicken succulent on my coco coirs and BAM it actually lived and in full bloom! Look up Echeveria or hen and chicken succulent. I place them in my enclosure. Easy to take out if you have to change the substrate and replanting is easy. I place them near the light and they can live just fine inside the enclosure. If you have buy the plant it is wise to re-pot it and only feed new leaf growth in case the plant has been treated with insecticides and fertilisers.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Coco coir may be moist and finely textured like soil, but it's not soil. It makes a great tortoise substrate, but a very poor plant growth substrate. This is because, unlike true soil, it contains almost no available nutrients. Plants may germinate in it, but they die soon after, because there is nothing there to nourish them. This is also why it resists the growth of fungi and insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.