Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmon91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, England
Hello everyone,
My name Emma and I am the proud new owner of a baby Herman tortoise, Sherlock :tort:. One of my main concerns at the minute is the substrate in his enclose. Originally I was using a product from Ikea called Kokosnot, but Sherlock seemed to struggle walking on it so I added Beech chips as a top layer. Is this a decent substrate or do I need get something better?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no idea what either of the substrates are you mentioned. I would use plain dirt or coconut coir.

Emmon91

5 Year Member
Manchester, England
wellington said:
I have no idea what either of the substrates are you mentioned. I would use plain dirt or coconut coir.

Hello, I think the stuff from Ikea is a mix of coconut coir and husk but Sherlock was just getting all bogged down in it even after I dried it out. He seems fairly happy on the wood chips but I've heard bad things about it. I dunno what to do, there seems to be a down side to all the options for the substrates. Would plain dirt not have nasty bugs and stuff?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use coconut coir and new Zealand long fibred sphagnum moss mixed together. The moss gives the coco coir some substance for digging and walking.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Since you said baby I'm assuming hatchlings. Something I would suggest are coco coir/husk. Also moss. Reason why, it maintains nice humidity and its very important to a baby. At a younger age, they are more prone to pyramiding compared to an adult. Plus they love to dig and this is something they can easily dig on.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I like to use a substrate of organic potting or top soil (65-70%), mixed with coconut coir (30-35%). I've experimented with several different substrates for young tortoises over the years and found that this fairly simple combination does everything well. It retains moisture without having to be wet (kept at about 2" deep), is easy for babies to dig into to hide while being firm enough for them the get good footing while walking around on top. It does not rot or decay. It's very easy to spot clean, spray with water and churn and if and when you decide to replace it with new it can be used for potting plants or spread in a garden.

Emmon91

5 Year Member
Manchester, England
Sherlock is a yearling. So I had a lil play with his box, he now has one side of his box with a coconut coir/husk mix and on the other side (the hot side) I have left the wood chips, he often digs about in the wood chips. He seems happy enough and the humidity on his tortoise table seems to be easier to maintain. Does this sound suitable or should I just get rid of the wood chips altogether?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I would get rid of the wood chips all together. It doesn't maintain good humidity. Like i said on the other post, they are more prone to pyramiding at a younger age. Plus, wood chips are super dry and the dust that it creates can get into their lungs and can cause a breathing problem from what i've heard.

You can replace the wood chips w/ moss. they they dont dry out fast compared to the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.