Substrates that don’t carry bugs?

Savannah Neal

Location (City and/or State)
Near St. Louis
I have used cypress mulch for my tortoises enclosure for a while now, it’s been fine, and usually there are some bugs in the mulch I notice when it’s about time to change it out. But it’s winter time here now and I got new mulch and it had TONS of little white active bugs in there, so I took it out ASAP, there were too many to handle, so I was wondering if there were any better substrates I could buy that should have the least amount of bugs as POSSIBLE, considering I have an indoor enclosure. Any Suggestions??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer fine grade orchid bark and I've never had bugs come in in a batch.

But be aware that those little white bugs are called spring tails. They are harmless detrivores and they come from the surrounding environment. They will colonize any substrate you use. Some people pay for those and add them to their enclosures on purpose.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know on none. All mine eventually has gotten one kind or another unless I have baked it. You can also boil it. I tried freezing but it doesn't work.

Jason Williams

Louisiana
I’m trying to figure out what I should do after noticing these spring tails in my substrate .Just to be sure ,you’re saying leave them alone?