Substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Is repti bark ok for a baby Russian tortoise?? I have it in with the tort but I just wanted to double check. Iv heard its ok but not sure

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
I had Repti-Bark for a while for my Russian. Then I tried coco coir, the coco coir works sooooo much better ;)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I use peat moss and organic top soil at a 50/50 mix for my sulcatas and Russian tortoises. I tend not to get stuff at pet stores because often it is either too expensive or it is not all that good for the critter.
With my mix, it's easy to keep it moist and they can borrow in very easily. I'm not sure about reptile-bark. Seems that it may be something that could cause impaction or blockage issues if accidentally ingested. And that accident does happen very often, no matter how hard you try to insure it won't. Post pictures of your little one. You are fortunate to start off with a new, life long friend that your kids may end up having.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
I think I'm gonna just get some Eco earth or coco coir and mix it in with the repti bark. Thx

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ckidd_1999 said:
I think I'm gonna just get some Eco earth or coco coir and mix it in with the repti bark. Thx

Please. Go with the coco coir. Especially since hes a baby.

Colin =D

5 Year Member
Ireland
I Plan to put a sod of grass into my new enclosure, would that be acceptable ???

pineapple

5 Year Member
I just bought some cypress mulch to add to my coco coir mainly to improve the smell, do you mix it in together or put a thin layer on top so they can still. Burrow into the pure coconut coir?

Status
Not open for further replies.