Sucata rear leg spurs

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
Today my wife notice that Sammy was walking with a limp, when I checked him I notice the large spur on his left leg was bleeding. It looks like he may have got it hung up on something, I notice the spur is cracked at the top and loose20200924_164035.jpg20200924_164029.jpg. I cleaned it up and put a little neoprene on it. The question I have is, will the spur fall off and grow back or is there a chance that it can be saved. Here are a couple of pictures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a scale, not a spur. The spurs are on the backs of their thighs.

It will most likely fall off eventually and a new one will grow over time.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
That is a scale, not a spur. The spurs are on the backs of their thighs.

It will most likely fall off eventually and a new one will grow over time.
Thank you

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Thank you
Hello Tom, just wanted you to know that the scale fell off this morning. I cleaned it up and put some more neosporin on it. Here's what it looks like now. Thank you again.20200925_144223.jpg20200925_144356.jpg20200925_144221.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is that a toe?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello Tom, just wanted you to know that the scale fell off this morning. I cleaned it up and put some more neosporin on it. Here's what it looks like now. Thank you again.View attachment 307258View attachment 307259View attachment 307260

clean...
Neosporin
Next day :
Clean...
Neosporin
Day after ... repeat. That is his little toe nail. It will grow back as Tom says but it looks sore. If you can ...after you put neosporin on it maybe you could get a baby sock and put that on so he doesn’t wipe the neosporin all over the place ? And might make him feel less pin if he steps down on it? Just a suggestion.. good luck..!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
clean...
Neosporin
Next day :
Clean...
Neosporin
Day after ... repeat. That is his little toe nail. It will grow back as Tom says but it looks sore. If you can ...after you put neosporin on it maybe you could get a baby sock and put that on so he doesn’t wipe the neosporin all over the place ? And might make him feel less pin if he steps down on it? Just a suggestion.. good luck..!
Thank you for your advice, I will ask my neighbor for one of her bab

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Sorry fat fingers, hit post by accident. I will get a sock from my neighbor. I believe that may work , it looks like it is bothering him when he walks. I keep the Forum on his progress. Thanks again

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
clean...
Neosporin
Next day :
Clean...
Neosporin
Just wanted the Forum to know that Sammy's foot is doing well. I have been keeping it clean and dry and putting Neosporin on it. 20200926_173557.jpg20200926_173315.jpgI've put a sock on his foot and it don't seem to bother him. I bought a pack of 10 pairs, size 0 to 6 months, it looks good on him.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Just wanted the Forum to know that Sammy's foot is doing well. I have been keeping it clean and dry and putting Neosporin on it. View attachment 307379View attachment 307380I've put a sock on his foot and it don't seem to bother him. I bought a pack of 10 pairs, size 0 to 6 months, it looks good on him.

He looks lovely!!!!!
I am so glad that the sock took some of the pressure off. And it does work.. I have done it a couple of times and she now is used to it. I only do it if she has a sore foot or nail though.. I am not some crazy lady that dresses her in socks like people do with their little dogs..?
I wish you well.
.. and in 3-4 days of neosporin he will not feel any pain.. when the redness goes away I let the air get to it so it will heal itself from there on out..
Lots of luck and glad you came to the forum for advice.
I am still a student here but if you talk to some of the experts on here they will give you GREAT advice.
Best of luck with your gorgeous tortoise! ❤️

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
He looks lovely!!!!!
I am so glad that the sock took some of the pressure off. And it does work.. I have done it a couple of times and she now is used to it. I only do it if she has a sore foot or nail though.. I am not some crazy lady that dresses her in socks like people do with their little dogs..?
I wish you well.
.. and in 3-4 days of neosporin he will not feel any pain.. when the redness goes away I let the air get to it so it will heal itself from there on out..
Lots of luck and glad you came to the forum for advice.
I am still a student here but if you talk to some of the experts on here they will give you GREAT advice.
Best of luck with your gorgeous tortoise! ❤️
Thank you for your advice, it working and he don't
mind the sock. He was pretty good on letting me put the sock on after a good warm soaking.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Hello TFO, just wanted to share that Sammy's foot is getting better. When he came out of his house this morning he did not have his sock on, I put him down for a long soak and he enjoyed it at usual. When I was cleaning his foot I noticed that he was not bothered with me touching it with a Q-tip. Later in the day Sammy was acting like my cats by trying to climb in a box, so I guess that he's feeling better.20200927_122728.jpg20200927_163853.jpg

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello TFO, just wanted to share that Sammy's foot is getting better. When he came out of his house this morning he did not have his sock on, I put him down for a long soak and he enjoyed it at usual. When I was cleaning his foot I noticed that he was not bothered with me touching it with a Q-tip. Later in the day Sammy was acting like my cats by trying to climb in a box, so I guess that he's feeling better.View attachment 307461View attachment 307462

I think he may very well be the only thing that CAN get into a zip lock bag.
Boy he sure showed them!
Best of luck.
And as always, he is looking great! ??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I think he may very well be the only thing that CAN get into a zip lock bag.
Boy he sure showed them!
Best of luck.
And as always, he is looking great! ??

P.S.
and I LOVE the fact that he fits in the sink!!
??

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
P.S.
and I LOVE the fact that he fits in the sink!!
??
It funny you say that because when I first got him, I was afraid that he was going to go down the drain. He was so little then, 20180317_191925.jpg20180313_221424.jpg but now he makes the sink look small. In a month or so he will be doing his soaks in the bathtub.The pictures are from the day I got him March 17 2018, weighing 46 grams. Now weighing 18lbs 6ozs.

Attachments

• 20200921_151306.jpg
    20200921_151306.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18