1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Successful breeding of Cuora (Pyxidea) mouhotii

Discussion in 'Terrestrial turtles' started by jonathan gray, Dec 28, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Sterant

Sterant Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Albany, NY
    I have found that the trick is to really clean the damaged area very, very well and aggressively. A soft bristle brush doesn't do it. I have used a brass bristle brush to remove the dead material before every treatment. Only after that did i see great results.
    Moozillion likes this.
  2. jonathan gray

jonathan gray Active Member

Doesn't that cause more trauma to the initial lesion? Bleeding, etc? How long would you keep the turtle 'bone dry' before returning it to its damp (ish) enclosure?
    Moozillion likes this.
  3. jonathan gray

Looking very alert and cute 005.JPG
    PJay, Moozillion and KevinGG like this.
  4. Sterant

Albany, NY
    Well I am referring to shell damage specifically...not skin. The dead layer seems to insulate the injury from the medication so I have always scrubbed it good....but certainly not to the point of bleeding. I keep them dry for the entire treatment term however long that is.....but I’m dealing with radiated tortoises
    Moozillion and jonathan gray like this.
  5. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    Even with aquatic turtles, I dry dock them for at least a few days, giving them an hour in a shallow soaking pan with food every day, then reapply ointment. This allow the medication to work without washing off, and an environment where I can bump temps to the low 80°s to boost metabolism.

As Dan, I initially work to be sure to get all the infected "rot" out and clean tissue exposed. Depending upon severity, it will on accassion bleed a tiny bit in deeper areas. But you have to get the bad stuff out. Then betadine bath - ONCE, then clean and apply paste.
  6. jonathan gray

Sort of like drilling the decay out of a tooth before filling it; makes perfect sense. I just bought a 'soft' wire bristle brush while I was out today. And Dan, I don't know why I didn't make the connection but I now recall you showing me the places on the radiata's shell, the brush and your description of the process you utilize.
    Moozillion and Sterant like this.
  7. KevinGG

KevinGG Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Santa Cruz, CA
    Moozillion likes this.
  8. Sterant

Albany, NY
    Right - much different than your situation, but likely applicable.
    Moozillion likes this.
  9. jonathan gray

From Late Spring (Late Aprilish) until mid-Autumn (late October, early November), the adults (1.2), are housed outside, together in a pen 3' x 8'. The pen has a wading pool and a hide shelter. It is also heavily planted with ferns, ivy, and any opportunistic weeds that happen to take root and grow. There are also some logs and other things to provide visual barriers and escape areas for the females if the male gets too aggressive. When the temps dip into the 30s I confine them in their shelter at night and provide them with a heat lamp during the day (I have never seen them come anywhere near the heat lamp and have observed them very active and feeding when the temps are in the 40s. In November I bring them inside, separate the male from the females and provide only water and UVB light. Around January I turn on the heat lamps and resume feeding. I also introduce the females to the male in Feb or so for some heavily supervised conjugal visits -the male is EXTREMELY aggressive at these times. The females start to get restless in September so I bring them inside and they nest. They have never, to my knowledge, never nested outside. The enclosure they are in is located in a shaded area of the yard which gets very little direct sunlight.
    PJay, Moozillion and KevinGG like this.
  10. KevinGG

Santa Cruz, CA
    Thank you!:)
    Moozillion likes this.
  11. jonathan gray

The growth on these guys is amazing. 29027942_10213197332582605_5757337599396020224_n.jpg
  12. jonathan gray

A few more pictures to show the babies progress. They are growing like weeds on a diet of earthworms, mealworms and wax worms.I have offered them food I give their parents (the 'meat' items along with fruits and vegetables), but they have been studiously ignored. The baby on the right in the last picture is an interesting story; I noticed some eggshell fragments and thought it was beginning to pip but it didn't look right to me -I didn't see a little nose poking out, only the white inner membrane of the egg. I left it alone for a few hours but when I went back to check there was no change. I very carefully cut an opening in the membrane and really couldn't discern what I was seeing...it certainly wasn't a head. I cut a little more of the membrane away and saw the baby's rear end. I poked it and there was no movement. I chipped a little more of the shell away and not only was the baby in a 'breech' position, it was upside down, the yolk sac was on top. I kept poking hoping for some sign of life but there was none. At that point I figured the baby was DIS so I chipped away until the baby slid out into my hand...and then it moved. I called Dan Sterantino and he suggested I make a little hammock out of cellophane with a bit of moisture for the baby to stay in until the yolk sac was absorbed. It stayed in its hammock for 48 hours until the yolk was gone and then was able to join its clutchmates. Although it is the oldest of the clutch it remains the smallest. The baby next to it is a month and a half younger and has almost caught up to it in size. It is healthy and growing and doing very well but, with all the turtles and tortoises I have hatched I have never, to my knowledge, experienced 004.JPG 011.JPG 007.JPG a 'breech birth' before.
    PJay, KevinGG, CarolM and 2 others like this.
  13. jonathan gray

'Bi Mama'. This was the first year she produced a clutch of eggs (5). Only one successful hatch. Still shy but beautiful 002.JPG
  14. jonathan gray

Not 'Bi Momma' BIG Momma o_O
    CarolM, Moozillion and PJay like this.
  15. Hutsie B

Hutsie B Active Member 5 Year Member

NC
    congratulations!!!
  16. Moozillion

Moozillion Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Louisiana, USA
    BEAUTIFUL animals!
    Very cool thread!!!!
    jonathan gray and CarolM like this.
  17. KevinGG

Santa Cruz, CA
    Thank you for sharing. Beautiful turtles
    jonathan gray likes this.
  18. jonathan gray

Normally, the parents would be outside by now but our temps have been unseasonably chilly- the trees haven't even begun to bud yet! I hope this weird weather doesn't throw them off their cycle
    KevinGG likes this.
  19. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin

Clovis, CA
    This has long been a favorite of mine. Many years ago a three legged male came through my rescue. I treated him just like I do my box turtles, even allowing a brumation during the winter. I eventually adopted him out. He was a beauty.
    PJay, KevinGG and jonathan gray like this.
  20. jjaymeza

jjaymeza Active Member

Fort Worth
    Wow I’ve never seen that breed before!
    PJay and KevinGG like this.