Successful Hatching of C. angulata - Sterantino / CAWG

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
So beautiful!

What is the status of the other 3 eggs?
Well it's more like 9 eggs now but fertility is zero. I am hoping that fertility will increase following their summer outside. I can get them out for 5 to 6 months where I live. Last year, it was early fall when the fertile egg was produced, so maybe that will happen again.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Any updates for us please?
Summer was great. I had them outside 24 x 7 - they are still out. They were exposed to the sometimes wet, and often humid conditions of uptate NY, and they did great. I have a couple eggs incubating now - one of which was laid last week. I hope to have better fertility this season!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Summer was great. I had them outside 24 x 7 - they are still out. They were exposed to the sometimes wet, and often humid conditions of uptate NY, and they did great. I have a couple eggs incubating now - one of which was laid last week. I hope to have better fertility this season!
That is great news. Mine are starting to spend their time outside all the time now as well, as we are going into our summer. My female has laid at least two eggs that I know of, possibly some more that I don't. However they might not be fertile, as I did separate her last year from the male due to him becoming more and more aggressive with her. However we will have to wait and see what happens. Maybe we are lucky and they were still able to be fertilized.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
That is great news. Mine are starting to spend their time outside all the time now as well, as we are going into our summer. My female has laid at least two eggs that I know of, possibly some more that I don't. However they might not be fertile, as I did separate her last year from the male due to him becoming more and more aggressive with her. However we will have to wait and see what happens. Maybe we are lucky and they were still able to be fertilized.
You can just put the male in with her for a couple hours - once a week. That's generally what I do. I kept my hatchling inside his summer but I will definitely put him out next year.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
You can just put the male in with her for a couple hours - once a week. That's generally what I do. I kept my hatchling inside his summer but I will definitely put him out next year.
Hmmm, not a bad idea. Then I can do it on the weekend and keep an eye on him. Thank you.

JThompson

I am late to the party, but congratulations on your Chersina hatchling! I hope to see many more post like this to follow. They were an incredible species to experience in situ.