Successful Russian Hibernation

Traveler

Location (City and/or State)
star Valley
Hi fellow Tortoise people ! How grateful I am to be part of this great information filled forum. You can call me “Traveler” and I have a passion for all tortoises (& Turtles also). My husband and I live in the Arizona Mountains, Elevation of 5,000 ft where it snows every winter. I have a pair of Russian Tortoises who have just come out of their first true hibernation in their awesome enclosure my honey built for them.( Last winter I kept them indoors.) They are thriving now and I am happy finally to observe both of them very active and friendlier than ever. I have been reading everyone’s posts all winter and have learned so much. I look forward to continue to educate myself on proper care as I hope to have Traveler & Crusier for a long long time. F3CD7B3E-6DB8-4E0E-9CD2-97B4973DB5DE.jpeg

Traveler

star Valley
Hello and welcome.
Tom, I know feel like I already know you as I know you always give helpful advice to new members without being critical... & in this day and age that is rare. The knowledge you share is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to address these issues for all who enjoy this forum daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I know feel like I already know you as I know you always give helpful advice to new members without being critical... & in this day and age that is rare. The knowledge you share is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to address these issues for all who enjoy this forum daily.
Without being critical??? I think you've got the wrong Tom... :D

Traveler

star Valley
Thank you for the welcome to a great group. My two Russians have been together since last April in a 12 x 10 outdoor enclosure with native plants and rocks and grasses . However I read a post yesterday about the dangers of keeping two together regardless of sex. They have a very deep burrow( more than my arm can reach) and this was their first winter hibernating. Previously my female “Cruiser “ was alone and an my friendly indoor buddy. I did not have intentions to raise little ones I just felt she may have enjoy a friend. The article stressed how aggressive males can be actually causing severe harm. I guess I will have to separate them , or find a home for him. Would appreciate opinions if perhaps that large of enclosure she would be safe from his advances? He was good last summer (and he is an adult), if anything she chases him! ( But, infact they eat together!) Please advise me on what would be the best option as I now am very concerned about her safety. I suppose I could divide them but that sort of seems sad thinking that they would not like a smaller area. It took my husband a lot of time to sink 8” block snd design/construct this enclosure so it would be secure against ALL predators .... any thoughts & or recommendations ? I’m curious without buying another female if any one of you have a pair of Russians that simply bond and not threaten one another ?Thank you for your time. God Bless us all.

Attachments

• 293B58A0-902F-47D7-837B-00E40E838CD5.jpeg
    293B58A0-902F-47D7-837B-00E40E838CD5.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the welcome to a great group. My two Russians have been together since last April in a 12 x 10 outdoor enclosure with native plants and rocks and grasses . However I read a post yesterday about the dangers of keeping two together regardless of sex. They have a very deep burrow( more than my arm can reach) and this was their first winter hibernating. Previously my female “Cruiser “ was alone and an my friendly indoor buddy. I did not have intentions to raise little ones I just felt she may have enjoy a friend. The article stressed how aggressive males can be actually causing severe harm. I guess I will have to separate them , or find a home for him. Would appreciate opinions if perhaps that large of enclosure she would be safe from his advances? He was good last summer (and he is an adult), if anything she chases him! ( But, infact they eat together!) Please advise me on what would be the best option as I now am very concerned about her safety. I suppose I could divide them but that sort of seems sad thinking that they would not like a smaller area. It took my husband a lot of time to sink 8” block snd design/construct this enclosure so it would be secure against ALL predators .... any thoughts & or recommendations ? I’m curious without buying another female if any one of you have a pair of Russians that simply bond and not threaten one another ?Thank you for your time. God Bless us all.
Best to separate them. You could try adding a couple more females, but no guarantees. Russians are so scrappy that even the females will attack the males or other females sometimes. There are a few species that do best living all alone as adults. Russians are one of them. Groups can sometimes work, but pairs never work. Not for long anyway.

Traveler

star Valley
Best to separate them. You could try adding a couple more females, but no guarantees. Russians are so scrappy that even the females will attack the males or other females sometimes. There are a few species that do best living all alone as adults. Russians are one of them. Groups can sometimes work, but pairs never work. Not for long anyway.
Thanks Tom. I appreciate your frankness and will figure a way out to keep them separated (& I can probably build a divider myself. ) I am grateful that I learned before someone got injured. When I grew up in Scottsdale I had desert tortoises for years that never hurt one another....Never too old to learn! Glad it wasn’t the hard way for their sake. Thanks much!