Succulent Euphorbia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olga

5 Year Member
"The natural habitat of Testudo graeca graeca includes semi-arid scrub and Mediterranean forest, to the verges of semi-desert, where it can be found inhabiting outcrops of succulent Euphorbia." (http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/cgraeca.html)
Does it mean that succulent Euphorbia is eadible for Testudo graeca graeca? If yes - which kind exactly?
Thanks in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The white sap found in all euphorbia plants ranges from mildly irritating to toxic. I wouldn't allow my tortoises to eat it.

Olga

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
The white sap found in all euphorbia plants ranges from mildly irritating to toxic. I wouldn't allow my tortoises to eat it.
And what about tortoises in living nature? Does they eat it? This information at tortoisetrust.org is rather confusing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Different types of Euphorbia are native to many different countries. Unless you know the particular plant that grows in your tortoise's native country, I wouldn't feed it.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I wouldn't feed it either. There are so many plants native to Madagascar which I have had in my radiated and Ploughshare enclosure including euphorbia. They nibbled a bit or even just smelled it and left it alone. So as decoration it's ok but it's your risk. Don't feed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.