Succulent help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have two tiny succulents that I just can not identify. I know several of you grow succulents and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Additionally, if anyone has a succulent identification book they recommend that would be lovely. I am ready to put these two in the ground but really need a proper ID to decide where they will go....
811bef71.jpg
828eba84.jpg
499f60af.jpg
05f70fd0.jpg
99e9fc1d.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think both of them are in the kalanchoe family. The top one makes little babies all along the edges of each leaf...mother-of-millions.

Katherine

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I think both of them are in the kalanchoe family. The top one makes little babies all along the edges of each leaf...mother-of-millions.

It absolutely does, the most prolific plant I have ever owned, and it is still a baby itself! I suspected the second one was kalanchoe, but not the first one and couldn't find pictures of either (hard to do when you don't know what to call them!). Thanks to your help I have just positively IDed the first plant as Kalanchoe daigremontiana. You're the best, I have been trying to figure this out for weeks now!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I had a landscaper give me an idea when I was trying to identify a bush in my yard. He told me to snip off a leaf and take it to the nursery and see if the Master Gardner there could identify it. I did and they were quick to tell me what my bush was. Just an idea..

Katherine

5 Year Member
DixieParadise said:
I had a landscaper give me an idea when I was trying to identify a bush in my yard. He told me to snip off a leaf and take it to the nursery and see if the Master Gardner there could identify it. I did and they were quick to tell me what my bush was. Just an idea..

Thanks. I probably shouldn't post this on an open forum/may regret admitting this but we like to collect succulent cuttings from dive resorts we visit and then transplant them into our succulent garden, kind of like an unconventional souvenir... as a result the succulents I have a hard time identifying are non native and challenging for local gardeners to recognize.

redbeef

5 Year Member
katherine said:
DixieParadise said:

Thanks. I probably shouldn't post this on an open forum/may regret admitting this but we like to collect succulent cuttings from dive resorts we visit and then transplant them into our succulent garden, kind of like an unconventional souvenir... as a result the succulents I have a hard time identifying are non native and challenging for local gardeners to recognize.

u too? ;)

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
The more popular name for the top plant you posted pics of is 'Mexican sombrero' (here in the UK) due to fact of all of the little "babies" it grows round the edges.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
katherine said:
DixieParadise said:

I love that idea. I wished I'd had thought of that years ago. The cool plants I could have. Next time, ask the place that you are taking it from what it is. They usually, if its a resort or nicer hotel area, will have gardeners on sight and can tell you what it is. Thanks for the great souvenir idea. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.