SUDANESE SULCATAS ON KAMP KENAN (Great Video)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
For those of you who've NEVER seen GIANT sulcatas...here's your chance! Very informative 25 minute video shot at my friend Bob Blome's place! Enjoy!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I saw it. It settled the debate for me. I am never getting sulcatas. They sure are purty though

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the share. That's a lot of sulcatas. Glad they were able to notice the injured one.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The following is taken from a recent tutorial from Bob himself...verbatim!

Some follow up on the wound cleaning.

16izcsp.jpg

To get to the wound, to keep a sulcata from pulling it legs in tight we have to stick a block of wood or pvc fitting between the legs. The force of the front legs closing up on a hand or finger will cause some damage to the caregiver.

wvegdz.jpg

We had to use a sterilized screwdriver to spread the wound to flush out maggots and to get betadine solution inside the wound

2lt35z.jpg

We packed the wound with silver sulfadiazine paste and with sterile gauze. This has to be done daily and monitored. Flushing the wound and keeping it clean is most important followed by monitoring for maggots.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
very cool, thanks for sharing. What a neat place and yes, so much work.

Destben

Kansas
The following is taken from a recent tutorial from Bob himself...verbatim!

Some follow up on the wound cleaning.

16izcsp.jpg

To get to the wound, to keep a sulcata from pulling it legs in tight we have to stick a block of wood or pvc fitting between the legs. The force of the front legs closing up on a hand or finger will cause some damage to the caregiver.

wvegdz.jpg

We had to use a sterilized screwdriver to spread the wound to flush out maggots and to get betadine solution inside the wound

2lt35z.jpg

We packed the wound with silver sulfadiazine paste and with sterile gauze. This has to be done daily and monitored. Flushing the wound and keeping it clean is most important followed by monitoring for maggots.

That’s awesome! I wonder how long it takes to heal?

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I was happy to see this new video at his place. The older one is great also and is what actually got me on to kamp kenan! And this is why I'll only have one sulcata.. glad he's doing good though! Keep us as updated as you can!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was a bit dismayed at the overall lack of grass/vegetation in that large pen. I realize it's Arizona, but given that sully's like to free range on grass and scrub areas... Not much there for them to naturally graze. Entire area looks awfully desert like, i didnt see any watering holes, mud bsths....etc.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I was a bit dismayed at the overall lack of grass/vegetation in that large pen. I realize it's Arizona, but given that sully's like to free range on grass and scrub areas... Not much there for them to naturally graze. Entire area looks awfully desert like, i didnt see any watering holes, mud bsths....etc.
You wouldn't see many of those in the Sudan either! Remember, we're talking about a region that can spend most of...if not all...the year in total drought! Also...nobody with these big guys can keep any vegetation intact,,,but they do go through bales of hay everyday...just as good!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yep...understood. That's in Sudan, or Mali...or other natural areas where the torts have free range to go where they please. Just saying for Sulcatas being raised in the US as breeders, i was surprized at the very limited food or water in that large enclosure. Anyone see water?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep...understood. That's in Sudan, or Mali...or other natural areas where the torts have free range to go where they please. Just saying for Sulcatas being raised in the US as breeders, i was surprized at the very limited food or water in that large enclosure. Anyone see water?

I've been there and got the tour from Bob. He has large watering holes in each enclosure, and lots of the tortoise were carrying recent mud, so they know where it is and how to use it.
IMG_2728.jpeg
IMG_2733.jpeg IMG_2734.jpeg

And here are some of Bob's tortoises eating their hay:
IMG_2736.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Aaaagh, that looks pretty good! I didnt see any of those watering holes in the video.... Thanks @Tom appreciate the additional photos. I have a few friends in Khartoum, but can't convince them to go out looking for Sulcatas or snapping pix :-(