Sudden Cardica Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
One person asked about my interest in Sudden Cardiac Arrest. I think it was Candy and maybe she was just being nice to ask, well I finally decided to use this chance to spread what I have learned over the last 3 1/2 years about SCA in kids.

HOW MY INTEREST DEVELOPED; It started about 32 years ago, I was probably in 6th or 7th grade and my dad was asked by the parents of a boy who had died of heart failure during a Little League game to to bring his race car to the funeral. My dad had never met the boy or his parent, but agreed when he heard that the boy had been a fan and that the family wanted him there. The family had pictures of my dad's car in the casket. All of this made a big impression on my dad as the idea of such a tragic death of a child was very upsetting to a father. About 6 years ago my dad moved in with my sister, she lives near me and every morning he would read the paper. Whenever he read about a child dying of SCA he would tell us about it and say" There is no reason for every school and sports program not to have an AED" ( Automated External Defibrillator)
Four years ago on his 61st birthday my dad decided he was going to time himself taking a very long hike he had been wondering about. It was a very warm february day and about 2 miles from the house he died of heart failure.
I wanted to do something in his memory and a nurse I know that was teaching a health class at the High School sugested I donated an AED to the H/S as they did not have one. Well bells went off in my head at the thought of doing something that would really make my dad happy. She gave me the number for San Diego Project Heart Beat and they helped me to to set up a foundation and start educating people in the community about SCA. I wanted to raise money to purchase an AED for every school and sports association in Ramona. To date I have placed two at the H/S one at the middle school and one at the baseball field. My new goal is to get enough donated to the H/S that one can be present at every sporting event.

Facts about AEDs; They are VERY easy to use, they can NOT deliver a shock to someone that does not need it, they are light in wieght and very portable and they are the most amazing thing ever made for a non-medical person. I guess the last fact is really my oppinion.

Facts about SCA; SCA is not a plumbing problem, but an electrical problem or heart abnormality. Approimately 2 percent of children have a heart condition that could result in SCA. The first detection of SCA is usually death, AEDs are the only effective way to treat SCA and must be used within the first 2 to 4 minutes, if a victim receives shock within one minute there is a 90% chance of resuscitation if a victim must wait 10 minutes the survival rate drops to less than 5%,over 465,000 people die each year of SCA, SCA occurs during exercise 60% of the time, the best AED only cost about $1,700.00.

It is my hope that everyone that reads this and has a child in school will ask the school "do you have an AED and where is it?" If the answer is no find out why not and push for them to get one. About a month ago 3 kids died in the U.S. in about a ten day span. This happend right before the Eric Paredes foundation came to Ramona High to conduct cardio screening free of charge to any 7th-12 grader thats parents were willing to bring them to get the test done. Because of my interest in SCA I was asked to be part of the commitee to get ready for the screenings. I mostly went to a few meetings, got waters donated, helped spread the word and made sure paper work was filled out correctly. They brought professionals to do the real work. Out of the 600 people that were screened 12 had problems that were detected. One was a boy who is 13 years old and plays baseball with my youngest son. I only know about this because his mother called me in tears and asked me to thank the person responsable for bringing the screenings to Ramona. His parent have an appiontment with a cardiologist will now be able to find out how they can treat it and prevent SCA.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is a wonderful, and very informative post. There is nothing in the whole world worse than losing a child. This is definitely a cause worth fighting for.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What you are doing is wonderful Angi, thank you.
My dad died of a heart attack almost 6 years ago. I know that is not the same as SCA, but I still really appreciate you raising awareness for AEDs and SCA.
I am sure your dad would be very proud of you.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Angi: great work you are doing.

There was an interesting study done a few years ago. I used to have it in print. I will try to find it and post a link. The study was done using 2nd graders. The students were given a two minute training, as a group, about an AED. Basically, they were just told that, "if a person falls down suddenly and appears to be asleep, look for one of these boxes. It will be marked with a red cross. If you find one, push the red button.". That was basically it. Throughout the next six months, the students were put through random exercises in which someone would simulate loss of consciousness. In a shocking 80% of the simulations, a student present at the training was able to locate an AED, power it up, follow the directions, place electrode pads and successfully deliver a shock within 3 minutes of the LOC. 2nd graders! It was amazing.

But, to Angis point, you cannot use an AED if there isn't one around. Awesome work!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thank you guys. Terryo I can not imagine going through that. I am so sorry that you had to. To be honest I am not actually sure what was wrong with my dad's heart. What the coraner told my sister did not make much sense to me. I really think that his heart gave out because of dehydration due to hiking in the heat while drinking Diet Pepsi.

It is amazing how simple an AED is to use. I would love to see the study about the 2nd graders Rob. I totally believe that with an AED a little kid could save a life, it tells you step by step what to to and tells you if you do something wrong and will not continue.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
This just made me think of this. I mentioned on a thread around a year ago about a gal I know that had a son who drowned. She had just taken a CPR course but forgot everything when she pulled her son out of the pool. With an AED even if you don't remember or know what to do it is okay because the computer tells you what to do. So yes a 9 year old or a freaked out adult can do it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
AED's are a wonderful tool they have pictures to show you where to place the pads and they talk to let you know what you need to do. I was a basic CPR and AED instructor at my last job and it always felt good to know I was giving people the tools needed to save someones life...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I carried an AED for amny years while on the job, never had to use it. Thank God they are out there.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
we have them at work and have taken the class.. wonderful devices.. should be in every school..
Angi what you are doing is wonderful!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Too bad I live in Canada. I sell medical supplies and equipment for a living, and could have gotten you a reduced price on them. This is a wonderful thing you are doing Angi.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Wow it is great to know so many people are familiar with AEDs. I have had to deal with people that don't understand how safe they are and are against having them. After being shot down by the middle school principal. I emailed most of the school board, a few called me and talked to me about it and then I got a call from her ( madame Principle) telling me how excited she was to have it at her school LOL. I had a family that wanted to purchase an AED and donate it to our school on the aniversary of their son dying at a middle school of SCA. This woman was going to turn it down because of ignorance. It is now in the gym.
Rich~ We get them from Cardiac Science. Are you familiar with them? I am a long ways from Canada at the bottom of California.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very interesting post Angi,
I think it is amazing what you are doing and I am sure your father is really proud you :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Angi, that is a great thing you are doing in memory of your dad. I am an EMT and a CPR instructor and teach using an AED along with CPR and first aid. We do free CPR training at our local high school to the teachers and kids once a year. The EMS company that I work for go to every football and basketball game to be on hand if such a thing happens. It is true AED's are easy to use and talk you through all the steps. I highly encourage everyone to get CPR/AED training. Great job Angi and keep up the good work:)

Status
Not open for further replies.