sudden loss of appetite/lethargy

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Thanks!!

I'm in no position to question the vet's diagnosis but the appetite loss and lethargy seem too abrubt for RI, and the nares are dry...most reptiles (i think tortoises included) usually have runny nose and noisy breathing before they slow down feeding. I hope the vet is right. Aside from the shots, he'll be doing daily nutri soaks and keeping temps at 32°C so whatever the real problem is at least the treatment also covers what should be done for dehydration ...force feeding will also an option if he totally stops eating..I hope it doesn't come to that since it still shows a little interest in food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Imports? Where are you?

The most likely culprit I see is your temperatures. 70 with humidity is much too cool. Never let your temp drop below 80 for a baby leopard. Day or night. What are you using for night heat? Are you using a coil type bulb for UV? They also need a basking area closer to 100 during the day. If they can only get up to 90, that is not quite warm enough.

I also see no point in keeping this tortoise on newspaper. That will not be "sterile" by any means, and a more natural substrate is not going to do any harm.

The problem with "research" is that you are simply reading one persons opinion with each new care sheet. Almost all of them are outdated and wrong.