Suggested Climbing Apparatuses?

Sjsarge

Location (City and/or State)
Carlsbad, CA
Hello! I've had a half log in my tortoises enclosure. He never really goes under it but he LOVES to climb it. His heat lamp turns on automatically at 7:45 am and around 8:15 am I come in to feed him and most of the time he has already climbed up his log and waiting for me. I was a little concerned and watched him a few times scramble up and down, but he seemed ok. This morning though he was upside down! I was so upset and removed the log, luckily I went in at 8 so I don't think he was upside down for very long. However he really loves climbing. Any suggestions on safe ways to provide this for him? His enclosure is a bookcase laid down, 4x6 feet. He is around 5 years. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only safe thing I can think of is a ramp with sides. But you got to have the ramp go some place. Maybe put a second level on a portion the the enclosure he can climb the ramp too.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Use the substrate piled up on the sides of the log to make a ramp on either side. You can also make a little hills and varied terain in the enclosure.

Clawem

i agree with leigti. I had the same problem with mine flipping over and that's what I did.