Suggestions for really raised red foot enclosure

JennFree

Location (City and/or State)
Houston Texas
I’ve read over the posts about raised enclosures using raised garden beds etc. but that won’t be High enough for me. I have a 1.5 year old redfoot who has been going outside daily when warm just in a zoomed tortoise box but it’s time for him to expand. I live in Houston so most of the time he can be outside but will have alternatives for inside of course when cold. Here’s my deal. I have a Great Dane and a German shepherd. While they haven’t historically messed with him I don’t want them to accidentally step on the enclosure or him. So I’m thinking more the height of like a horse trough (or actually a real horse trough) but here is the second part which I live in the suburbs and have a great horned owl and loads of red tail hawks. I need to be able to cover the top well but not sure about how to put a top on a trough. Or should we build a long table with legs and then use raised garden beds etc to make a long outdoor enclosure for him. I’m just not design minded and any suggestions appreciated.

JennFree

Houston Texas
Oh and I’d also like it visually appealing as it will go along the side of our garage where there is good sun and will be a focal point of the yard. (We can paint it make it cute of course) but just the actual design. The troughs I was going to buy multiple with tortoise in middle one and the other two for flower beds. I just don’t know how to get the mesh top with the trough for the tortoise enclosure

JennFree

Houston Texas
Oh and I’d also like it visually appealing as it will go along the side of our garage where there is good sun and will be a focal point of the yard. (We can paint it make it cute of course) but just the actual design. The troughs I was going to buy multiple with tortoise in middle one and the other two for flower beds. I just don’t know how to get the mesh top with the trough for the tortoise enclosure

Attachments

• 2790CEC6-7AFD-47A8-B62A-966F8EA1E9CF.png
    2790CEC6-7AFD-47A8-B62A-966F8EA1E9CF.png
    1 MB · Views: 10

JennFree

Houston Texas
This could work but I’m really just in need of design blueprints and not sure if there is a place for that or if any members have one. Worst case I hire a contractor.

JennFree

Houston Texas
How big is he? A trough or table will not be big enough for an adult RF.
He is still small. Palm of my hand. I found troughs that were 8 ft long. I need to get him out of his zoo med box now as he’s not a baby anymore. I posted a pic of something that my work below. I’m willing to build whatever. Just need the base to be tall and definitely predator proof I can make it up to 15 ft long but only 3 ft outwards.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is still small. Palm of my hand. I found troughs that were 8 ft long. I need to get him out of his zoo med box now as he’s not a baby anymore. I posted a pic of something that my work below. I’m willing to build whatever. Just need the base to be tall and definitely predator proof I can make it up to 15 ft long but only 3 ft outwards.
How about a dog kennel run? Most will have a cover and you could easily add on to it as he gets bigger. This way he can still live on the ground, won't be so blocked from seeing out yet you can block the lower part so he can't see straight out, if that makes sense.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Worst case I hire a contractor.
You don't need a contractor. Just a local handyman.

Here is one way to do it:
IMG_7276.jpg

These are 8x8 feet and available at Tractor Supply. Add a night box to the outside, which I am building for this enclosure right now, and you will be good to go.

JennFree

Houston Texas
How about a dog kennel run? Most will have a cover and you could easily add on to it as he gets bigger. This way he can still live on the ground, won't be so blocked from seeing out yet you can block the lower part so he can't see straight out, if that makes sense.
Yea that is my plan when the trampoline goes away. The only space for that is there.

JennFree

Houston Texas

View attachment 353566

These are 8x8 feet and available at Tractor Supply. Add a night box to the outside, which I am building for this enclosure right now, and you will be good to go.
This actually may fit on another part of my yard

Attachments

• 2329137E-EC8A-4B91-9501-DB658AFE1E38.png
    2329137E-EC8A-4B91-9501-DB658AFE1E38.png
    1 MB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

View attachment 353566

I like the looks of that. You could also attach shade cloth if needed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I built this to be cat proof.
Not dog proof.
It's easy to make larger and is a slightly different configuration now.

Attachments

• 20210119_144922.png
    20210119_144922.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image_01.png
    image_01.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 6