Suggestions for transporting tortoise to the vets

DavidB

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire, USA
The last time I brought Archimedes to the vet for a check-up, he was small enough that I could carry him in a plastic "critter carrier." He's gone through some growth spurts since then, and now he's way too large for that. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for how to best transport him? The vets' office is about a half hour from home.

I have looked around for any vets that do house calls and deal with exotics, but unfortunately, this place is my only option in the area. :(

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I once made a 2-hour drive to pick up two huge 100-pound (each) Sulcatas. I had help loading them into the bed of my truck and drove 2 hours back home.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
The last time I brought Archimedes to the vet for a check-up, he was small enough that I could carry him in a plastic "critter carrier." He's gone through some growth spurts since then, and now he's way too large for that. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for how to best transport him? The vets' office is about a half hour from home.

After asking similar question, one reply asked why I wanted to take him to a vet. I thought they needed annual checkups same as dogs, but pretty much advised that if he looks okay, acts okay and all parts seem to be working, don't bother.

Regardless, I can't pick him up very high off the ground. I use the longest firewood sling (47 inch "waist") I could buy to lift him a few inches, but that's it. I can't pick up any of my old dogs either so I bought an animal stretcher for everyone just in case. It has wheels on one end which, I hope, will allow me to slide him on, strap him down then pull him up a ramp into my van if there's nobody around to help. I already had to make an extra wide/long ramp for my dogs who will not use any type you can buy. I recently used the stretcher for 110 lbs golden following an operation and it worked fine. Wife helped me lift him out of the van and I rolled him into the yard.

Hope you have a truck or van or trailer because I cannot imagine trying to get a large sulcata into a car.

upload_2018-8-31_8-5-47.png
upload_2018-8-31_8-5-56.png

DavidB

New Hampshire, USA
After asking similar question, one reply asked why I wanted to take him to a vet. I thought they needed annual checkups same as dogs, but pretty much advised that if he looks okay, acts okay and all parts seem to be working, don't bother.
I was just inquiring in case he gets sick or starts acting weird. I'd rather have a possible plan in place than being in a panic because I don't know how I'm going to get him there.

He's about 10-12 inches long and strong enough that he'd mutilate something fragile like a cardboard box if he started squirming about. It sounds like a plastic tote with holes and paper towels would be the best choice.

What is a good amount of space to give him on all sides?

missfaith

Cleveland, Ohio

I have looked around for any vets that do house calls and deal with exotics, but unfortunately, this place is my only option in the area. :(

We have (unfortunatly) had to make a couple of trips to the vet with Bosch in the past month. We move him from the house to his outside space in a large cement mixing tub. That tub fits perfectly in the back of my small SUV. We need two people to carry him, but it works great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A large plastic tote is the best thing I've found. I get a dark colored one and leave the lid on. The darkness calms them a bit. I use towels on the bottom. Bring a big plastic garbage bag for the soiled towels and some replacement clean towels. You'll need them. Soak the tortoise for a good hour before the car ride to get them to empty out as much as possible.