Suggestions on a plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So I tried using the 3x1.5 ft container inside thor's enclosure, and grew weeds/grass in there. I think it's been about 2 weeks and he's pretty much demolished everything.

Soo, now i'm thinking of trying 1-2 plants, like a Hosta. That he wouldn't be able to knock over, but provide a site barrier. Hosta's however get too big.

And no i can't use fake plants for those that didn't read my other posts, he tries to eat them no matter how many times he tries.

The plant ideally won't be eaten, but needs to be edible of course and not toxic. Needs to be small to medium in size and not be able to be knocked over. I say a Hosta type plant because they provide a nice hide area, but it's too big for his indoor enclosure.

I have Begonia's, but I'm not sure if those are toxic, edible or ok etc. So really looking for any suggestions. The plant can't be wider than 12-14" (when fully grown) and longer than 2 ft.

And no he cannot see out. I just un-taped the 2 sides for pictures.
000_0012-1.jpg

Taking a bite of the goodies.
000_0009-2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My suggestion would be another container just like the one you have the grasses in. When one gets demolished, you replace it with the other. Then the first one rests and grows again.

Baby Rose of Sharon trees would be a nice addition to your habitat. The seedling trees still have a woody stem (trunk), but the plant is very small, and edible. It would either take a very long time to outgrow the habitat, or it wouldn't grow at all because of being indoors.

There's a succulent plant called Elephant bush (portulacaria afra) that grows in Africa and is a native food for leopard tortoises. You can usually find small ones at the nursery. I like to plant them down into the substrate still in the pot, and not in the substrate.

Small jade trees (crassula ovata) are another good choice.

Have you tried the artificial cactus? I doubt he can eat them.

Yvonne

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
emysemys said:
My suggestion would be another container just like the one you have the grasses in. When one gets demolished, you replace it with the other. Then the first one rests and grows again.

Baby Rose of Sharon trees would be a nice addition to your habitat. The seedling trees still have a woody stem (trunk), but the plant is very small, and edible. It would either take a very long time to outgrow the habitat, or it wouldn't grow at all because of being indoors.

There's a succulent plant called Elephant bush (portulacaria afra) that grows in Africa and is a native food for leopard tortoises. You can usually find small ones at the nursery. I like to plant them down into the substrate still in the pot, and not in the substrate.

Small jade trees (crassula ovata) are another good choice.

Have you tried the artificial cactus? I doubt he can eat them.

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne, thanks!

I was thinking about doing 2 containers myself and rotating, except i'd be buying seeds every 2 months or so. He didnt eat so much as he just flattened everything. So on top of the seeds I still buy his regular greens and stuff.

I havn't tried an artificial cactus, and I havn't seen any I don't think. Are they at normal plant shops or what kind of stores?

And I imagine the small jade's would be at a nursey too?

Are Begonia's ok? or are they toxic?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If you are just looking for a site barrier you can place paper outside his tank up to were he can't see out. Spider plants also make a great hide type plant and are edible thou mine don't seem interested in eating it but sure love to hide under them.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
If you are just looking for a site barrier you can place paper outside his tank up to were he can't see out. Spider plants also make a great hide type plant and are edible thou mine don't seem interested in eating it but sure love to hide under them.

Robyn, I have paper all around his enclosure, I said I just removed two sides to take pictures. I'm talking about a site barrier/hide for in his enclosure. Since he's a flipper and can't have fake plants in there, I figured a live plant he couldn't/wouldn't eat/trample would do the trick.

I will go Monday and check out the Jade's, spiders and elephant bush. Thanks.

I went here: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/houseplants.htm

And it lists Begonia as non-toxic as well. So I might try that

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rob, sorry I didn’t see that in your post. All the plants listed above can and more than likely will be eaten, so be prepared. And if he can bulldoze them down he more than likely will. Sounds like a larger area may be the ticket. When I increased my Greeks area they stopped flipping. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Remember you still will be dealing with the leaching time unless you get an organically raised plant. Also if you are trying to find a hide he can not clime or will not allow him to flip himself with try something square, or the log hides at Wal-mart are too high sided for them to try and climb. Also the bins that you put nuts and bolts in you can get them at home depot or Lowes and they work great for hides they are plastic and square with one side cut down. Not really attractive but you can place a small plant on top of it to help hide it and make it look more natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.