Suggestions on how to cover this

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
In the name of making Max's new outdoor enclosure aesthetically appealing, I insisted on this curvy shape. Now I realize that it's going to be a pain to cover. I just want to keep predators out - where we are, I think the main concern will be birds. But, at the same time I want to access it fairly easily to clean, feed, etc.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I cant view the photo on my crappy work computer. But I can imagine a cover that has sections that remain attached to the enclosure with a section that swings up as a framed door. This way, you can make a cover in an odd shape and still have function.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can't help you . Need to see the enclosure .

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Just because the walls are curved does not mean the roof must be curved. Just put in four posts along the outer points of your walls and mount a wood frame with hinges on the posts. Then run hard wire grid to keep the birds, etc. out of your enclosure. (I like the 1/2" spaced grid). Depending on the size of your enclosure, you may need multiple hinged sections.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I'm inexperienced with torts outdoors. Would crow or magpies be a problem with a russian?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm inexperienced with torts outdoors. Would crow or magpies be a problem with a russian?
Magpies definitely! They are bullies and pull chicks out the nests and may go for your torts eyes.
What about frames of chicken wire in sections that would fasten to your fence and lift up?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What about frames of chicken wire in sections that would fasten to your fence and lift up?

Hmm looking at it again I'm not sure that would work

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Hmmm, if this is only for day time, how about something like pvc pipe frame and aviary netting? Just throwing out ideas.
I like Lyn's idea. The frame could be more squared and come out a little beyond the brick.
Don't think just down low, you could have "whatever" attached up a few feet on the fence so you can plant bushes too.
I like the hill you have in the corner:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi again. Been looking again at what you are doing. I don't know what your budget is but I would drive bamboo sticks(1.1/2" diameter) into the ground at the back of every joint on your curved wall to the height of the fence, on the straight part of the wall a door made of bamboo that opens for your access. Then fasten 1 1/2 square timber from top of the bamboo across to the fence.(rounded off to follow the shape of the bamboo where the bamboo meets the timber). Then use some wire mesh all over the top and edges, like a bird aviary. Then because of the height you can grow tall bushes in there and/or have hanging baskets with draping flowers for cover, could you get a vine tree going at the back near the fence. Just throwing ideas in the pot for you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I noticed at the bottom of your fence there are small arches for the fence decoration. Your tort can't dig under there can it. How big is your tort and what species is it.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Hmmm, if this is only for day time, how about something like pvc pipe frame and aviary netting? Just throwing out ideas.
I like Lyn's idea. The frame could be more squared and come out a little beyond the brick.
Don't think just down low, you could have "whatever" attached up a few feet on the fence so you can plant bushes too.
I like the hill you have in the corner:)
Yes, that's the thing, I need to think higher, which is what is complicating things
I noticed at the bottom of your fence there are small arches for the fence decoration. Your tort can't dig under there can it. How big is your tort and what species is it.
Those are plastic panels dug in to block a small gap between the fence and ground, and hold the landscaping fabric in place.
Hi again. Been looking again at what you are doing. I don't know what your budget is but I would drive bamboo sticks(1.1/2" diameter) into the ground at the back of every joint on your curved wall to the height of the fence, on the straight part of the wall a door made of bamboo that opens for your access. Then fasten 1 1/2 square timber from top of the bamboo across to the fence.(rounded off to follow the shape of the bamboo where the bamboo meets the timber). Then use some wire mesh all over the top and edges, like a bird aviary. Then because of the height you can grow tall bushes in there and/or have hanging baskets with draping flowers for cover, could you get a vine tree going at the back near the fence. Just throwing ideas in the pot for you.
I like this a lot. I am thinking vertical bamboo stakes, maybe even cross bars as well with bird net over top. It will look kinda pretty too.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes, that's the thing, I need to think higher, which is what is complicating things

Those are plastic panels dug in to block a small gap between the fence and ground, and hold the landscaping fabric in place.

I like this a lot. I am thinking vertical bamboo stakes, maybe even cross bars as well with bird net over top. It will look kinda pretty too.
If you could attach horizontal bamboo with the vertical bamboo with small rope around the joints it would look right good. I imagine not easy to do though, need to get a neat rope wrapping. Don't forget bamboo is hollow, very very strong but hollow. Also anything you attach horizontal to the front must be flexible so to bend and follow your curved wall contour. Google attaching bamboo,bamboo cages, bamboo houses. Its amazing what can be done with it and looks really good with tropical plants,palms.

Look how strong it is, this is scaffolding, over here in the uk we use aluminium.

images (10).jpg

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Thank you so very much for your thoughts! I would have never even thought of bamboo. The bamboo will be strong, and nice to look at! I think what I plan to put on top is a flexible netting, so it should work.

I will post a picture for you as soon as I finish. I don't think the store where I'll get my supplies is open today :(

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
image.jpg Here's the start of the bamboo going in. I just used jute twine to bind it (still needs to be trimmed). So far so good I think.