Not open for further replies.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Greetings fellow tortie lovers ~

Please see this link: http://www.pbase.com/purpod/cacti for a sneak peek at an outdoor enclosure in the makings and also several images of various succulants, which hopefully, are going to be edible and make this area much nicer!

Once the seeds get here, they will be planted as well. Also, was thinking of adding one area to have river rocks as a substrate; whatcha think?

Anyways, any and all advice will be given serious thought and know that I am grateful for any feedback!!

Purpod :p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
This looks like an awsome enclosure. Most succulents are ok for torts. You might also look into things like hibiscus, geraniums, wandering jew, most torts seem to like these also. If you are planning on leaving your little leo out when you are not there think of placing a preditor proof chicken wire or hardware cloth wire over it. It is still small and birds, opossums even cats could be a threat.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Robyn ~
And thanx for the reply! King Tortuga seems to really loves his space outside, and it is only half completed for now, LOL. He is back up to being a piglet when it comes to chow, and that make me very happy!!

And yes, I do have some wire 'cloth' that will be put onto wooden posts that will set over the entire area so as to keep him safe when I am not around.. but for now, we just kick it outside, with him munching on clover and parsley & I with my snoffee, err.. coffee.

The circular area with the rocks in it is now a mini pond that he can refresh himself in; it's nice 'cuz it's simply one of those water catchers for potted plants {which was cheap to purchase, easy to set up/clean & will be easy to replace if necessary}.

I will certainly check into some of the other plants you suggested too, Robyn, altho I must admit I am looking forward to receiving my tortie seed mix so that he can 'mow' his way around, LOL. {Also, I have a TON of jasmine flowers available to me, are those tasty treats for torties?}

And of course, as he grows, I will be able to enlarge his area, for he currently only covers 1/4 of the cemented area.

Does anyone have any ideas as to if a rocky {smooth river rock types} area would be a nice addition? If her were a 3 toe or a box, then I would steer away from such, adding more foliage instead. But since he is a desert tortie, I am thinking that might be a nice little 'jungle gym' for him to explore around upon: nothing real tall, but just to mix up the ground/flooring...

Anyways, thanx for the feedback; I'm always grateful for such!
Enjoy your day ~
Purpod

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You should try to find some inexpensive prickly pears. In Cal you should be able to grow quite a variety. Prickly pear (opuntia sp.) is a great source of calcium.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Larry,

And thanx for the suggestion; there are a ton of prickly pear cacti growing on the way to Simi from where I live, and I could 'prolly pick a zillion, altho won't the small 'hairs' {spikes} on them injury the tortie?

I have tons of cacti that I grow too, many varieties from barrels to sagueros and lots in between, but they all have needles, and so I did not use any in King Torties' play ground..

Thanx again, your input is appreciated!
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Purpod, I have heard jasmine is poison for torts. Seems that spineless cactus (opuntia sp.) and torts do just fine.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My torts eat around the spines on mine and never had problem (these are RF, Star, and Spider, haven't tried with MEPs yet). There is specie called O. ficus-idincus that will grow in your area that has less spines. It is the agricultural prickly pear.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Crazy1 said:
Purpod, I have heard jasmine is poison for torts. Seems that spineless cactus (opuntia sp.) and torts do just fine.

Thanx Robyn; I thought that I had heard that, and appreciate the confirmation! ~ Enjoy ~

Status
Not open for further replies.