Suitable Lamp set-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I am looking into getting my first tortoise and I am going to have an indoor tortoise table (approx. 47" long and 14" wide). I am going to have one Greek tortoise and I am now looking at suitable lighting and am wondering if these 3 items would make a suitable lighting unit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zoo-Med-Lamp-..._Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item53de58cfe0

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-Rex-Active-..._Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item2c597a651f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SW-Exo-Terra-..._Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item53dd1ec843

I think this set-up will be cheaper than having 2 stands with 2 separate bulbs, etc.

Thanks,
Ben.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ben:

Definitely YES to the light and the stand, but you can buy the bell receptacle with a ceramic base cheaper if you go to a home improvement store.

I LOVE that stand!! Get the bigger one, as the smaller size doesn't have a big enough foot and can be a little tippy.

I have never used the UV lights before, but last year finally caved and bought a couple. The T-Rex MVB bulbs like you've shown in your picture, were the ones I bought. I can't say enough good about them. I noticed a distinct difference in my babies under their new light.

And if you find you need another fixture for a night time heat source, the stand's arm extends outward and will accommodate two bell fixtures. That's how I use it. I have a black bulb for night time heat in one fixture and the T-Rex bulb in the other.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not necessarily better, but really same as. So might as well go cheaper. Quite a few forum members use the Solar Glo. But you don't want to get too big a bulb. It might make your habitat too hot. The 100 watt works for me in my habitats, but if you have a fairly large tort table, you may need the 125 watt bulb.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that's the type and size you want. But you can get it cheaper at a home improvement store.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think the T-Rex is a much better quality bulb than the Solar Glo, but there isn't any data on the current bulbs on the market (past data showed this, and I'd say from anecdotal evidence too). 100 Watt is better unless you have a huge enclosure (you don't...its actually too small for an adult Greek in my opinion), and also because its easier to get the distance correct (pay attention to what the box says as far as min and max distance, and adjust it to get the correct basking temp). 10 inch diameter fixture is good as long as it has a ceramic socket, but some people like the "deep dome" ones that are more like 8 inch diameter, because the bulb doesn't stick out the bottom and shine in your eyes. I like the black ZooMed deep dome fixtures because they match my black large ZooMed stand, and the bulb fits in there well (doesn't stick out). They have a nice hanger to work with the hook on the stand, unlike some other fixtures which you have to (unsafely) clamp on there. Yes, the Mercury Vapor Bulb setup is both cheaper and much better for your tort than the light bulb + heat emitter + UVB tube (only real sun is better).

Status
Not open for further replies.