suitable uvb watts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

willy wonka

5 Year Member
hi there..

i have two little stars. both of them not over a years old and seem

active.. what"s the suitable uvb watts should i use for them?? is 100 watts

enough or too much for them. i'm planning to use mvb.. thanks...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I think a 100 Watt MVB (T-Rex or Mega Ray are the best brands and I would not recommend any other brands) is great for all types of small tortoises. If you follow the directions and place it far enough away, it does not emit any more UVB than the sun, but is a close simulation. Some people will disagree and say these bulbs will cook a tortoise, but I have used them with hatchling (100 Watt T-Rex and Mega Ray) and so have many others I know of firsthand. The manufacturers recommend them for all reptile sizes/ages. For more technical info about MVBs, read http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm

If you take the proper precautions with distance away (at least 12 inches for the 100 Watt, but no more than 18 inches, placing it at the correct height away using a lamp stand from the substrate for the desires basking temperature, and the bulb face parallel to the substrate with a ceramic socket wide & deep hood fixture), having the animal properly hydrated such as with a moist substrate and a soaking dish available, I see no danger in it. The MVBs are much better than the other options out there for indoor UVB. Of course, sun is best though. If you can get the Stars out for real sun on a regular basis (such as even a half hour a day), you do not need UVB indoors and could just use a light/heat. The MVBs only come in 100, 160, and 250 Watt for U.S. voltage as far as I know. More than 100 Watts is not needed unless it is a huge tort/enclosure. Remember to change the MVBs ever 12months unless you have access to a UVB meter.

Best wishes.

samstar

5 Year Member
I'm using the megaray mvb 120 watts for my star which is great

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
tortoisenerd said:
I think a 100 Watt MVB (T-Rex or Mega Ray are the best brands and I would not recommend any other brands)

So is the Zoomed PowerSun new to the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.