Sulcata- 250 lb + male specimens

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
These guys are still growing, all of them are over 250 pounds. The 246 pounder (no photo of him here) I mentioned in the other thread was noticeably smaller than these guys so my estimate of 250-265 pounds is conservative. My animals all originate from the Sudan. I've noticed that they get much larger then the commonly seen male Mali tortoises and their descendants. I also notice they are not quite so flattened in appearance (the shell) like the Mali tortoises.

My thoughts on sulcata tortoises are that they are not yard pets. They should not be or recommended to be, housed in the normal backyard furnished with normal backyard accouterments. They should be housed like livestock, with livestock strength fixtures. I don't expose my animals to fences that they can tear apart; if the animal can tear the fence apart, it isn't a good fence, it is a flimsy fence.

I don't expose my animals to sitting benches, screen doors, sheet rock walls, sprinklers & garden hoses, or any other backyard pieces. For example, garden hoses are very dangerous to large tortoises. They can become tangled, while struggling pulling the hose tighter and tighter, strangling themselves or a limb. Putting tortoises in these situations, then blaming, denigrating or gasconading the species after they make contact with this kind of stuff reflects only on the keeper; it has zero to do with the tortoise. That's my two cents and yes, I'm 100 percent correct. :)

Attachments

• 250 pound plus.jpg
    250 pound plus.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,045
  • another 250 pound plus male.jpg
    another 250 pound plus male.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,951
  • 250 pound plus 3.jpg
    250 pound plus 3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,450
  • 250 pound plus 4.jpg
    250 pound plus 4.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 1,527
  • 250 pound plus 5.jpg
    250 pound plus 5.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,713
  • 250 pound plus 6.jpg
    250 pound plus 6.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 1,463
  • 250 pound plus 7.jpg
    250 pound plus 7.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,645

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You goooo bf :D I still find your threads amusing (just so you know, I don't mean that in any way shape or form as a bad statement, for reals....) and thank you for sharing, that is what this forum is for and what I enjoy, personally.... ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
JEEZ! Look at the gulars on that fifth one...now that's a battering ram and bayonette rolled into one!

And BTW...gorgeous animals!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would need a bigger poop-a-scoop if I had one of those big boys... They look good..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Son of a b****!!! Those are some big boys.

M

Maggie Cummings

My Sulcata is 102 pounds and yours or the last 3 pix are the first I've seen with carapace growth like that. Bob's carapace has growth/damage like that. It's not pyramiding, it's almost like you can stick something under the scute. Like the bottom of the scute is bumped up. Any idea what I'm talking about, what's causes it? Those are great looking animals. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Brad! Your tortoises are HUGE!!! I don't guess you have any fighting problems among the males? The pasture looks quite large. Do they have burrows? I'm guessing you mainly feed hay? I'm quite impressed. Thanks for the pictures.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Now that's what Im talking about! Those are HULKs of the sulcata world. Those got to be pretty old or you have fed them some roids...lol. Looks like a tortoise compound, not talking about you all A.T.C ;). And all those shells are so smooth. Are you in Africa somewhere and not tellin us?...lol

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Brad...did you get them with the original wave of imports in the 80s and were they full-grown...or youngsters? BTW I'm in Lancaster and would love to check 'em out in person sometime...provided you allow visitors. If you don't it's cool...and totally understandable!

bfmorris

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
Brad...did you get them with the original wave of imports in the 80s and were they full-grown...or youngsters? BTW I'm in Lancaster and would love to check 'em out in person sometime...provided you allow visitors. If you don't it's cool...and totally understandable!

The wave you refer to were tortoises smuggled out of Mali and given phony CITES permits by Ghana and Togo.

My original tortoises came directly (and legally) from the Sudan before they were declared a terrorist country and trade stopped, as mostly juveniles and subadults. Amongst these are animals hatched here and raised up, they are difficult to distinguish at a glance because they are huge also. I've felt that smaller specimens did the best as imports and I was truly rewarded by patience in this regard.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
bfmorris said:
DeanS said:

The wave you refer to were tortoises smuggled out of Mali and given phony CITES permits by Ghana and Togo.

My original tortoises came directly (and legally) from the Sudan before they were declared a terrorist country and trade stopped, as mostly juveniles and subadults. Amongst these are animals hatched here and raised up, they are difficult to distinguish at a glance because they are huge also. I've felt that smaller specimens did the best as imports and I was truly rewarded by patience in this regard.

So how old is the oldest one and how long have you kept sulcata's? I know you have had them for along time.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Wow, Brad! Your tortoises are HUGE!!! I don't guess you have any fighting problems among the males? The pasture looks quite large. Do they have burrows? I'm guessing you mainly feed hay? I'm quite impressed. Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks, yes I feed various grass hays and supplements. Males don't get along so they have to live separate.

FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
bfmorris said:
DeanS said:

So how old is the oldest one and how long have you kept sulcata's? I know you have had them for along time.

The oldest are in their late 20's. Since the 80's.

I'm in a hot dry piece of the desert. I'm pretty private and I don't have visitors, sorry.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Again....WOW!! That big and only 20-30yrs old? How do you keep your hatchlings and juvies? I have seen (and kept) very large sullies but yours are giants! Definitely makes me think there are [more] ssp. than previously thought.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
Az tortoise compound said:
Again....WOW!! That big and only 20-30yrs old? How do you keep your hatchlings and juvies? I have seen (and kept) very large sullies but yours are giants! Definitely makes me think there are [more] ssp. than previously thought.

Little guys kept indoors.

They definitely are giants, they are so large that they are unmanageable, in a sense.

I have one male that is 16 years old. I'll try and get the camera on him, he is huge also. I know him because when he hatched his front foot was deformed, split into three big claws. His name is Tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.