Sulcata advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
Recently added a new sulcata to the family. He has his own separate enclosure from the other 2. I live in PA and drove to FL to pick him up. The enclosure where he was living in Florida had some type of shredded wood substrate. He was living inside. He has been in his new outdoor enclosure for 10 days and he is still defecating the substrate he obviously ate while he was in that enclosure. I don't believe he was intentionally eating it, but I have no way of knowing. My guess is that this substrate was sticking to the greens they were feeding him. My other concern is that he isn't defecating very much at all. He also spends what I believe is too much time in his hide box. He doesn't come out early in the morning like the other 2 I have, and same goes for the evening. He eats everything I give him, and roams around, but only if I show him the food. Is he just getting comfortable in his new habitat, and does it just take a while to pass the food he eats? He weights 200 lbs and is about 60 years old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He may just be still adjusting. Sometimes it takes a while. As long as he is pooping the old substrate out, that's a good thing. If he stops pooping, that maybe a sign of trouble. I would keep a close eye on him, until the passing of substrate is over.
BTW, really, posting about a new tort and no pic. I think that's illegal on this forum:p:D

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
You should be able to see them now. Click the link under your last post ( Wellington)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Can you make him a mud wallow? If you can get him interested in sitting in the water, it will help him poop (here on the forum, we're not afraid to use the "real" word!!)

Just keep water available to him at all times. Eating the substrate is usually not harmful, and if well-hydrated, it should pass.

Maude

5 Year Member
How and why do you keep a 200lb tortoise inside???? What were his former owners thinking? Especially since he was in Florida? Does this happen a lot with these big guys? Do you just dedicate a whole room or floor to your tortoise? Maybe I am really naive but Wow I am stunned! Sorry-not trying to hijack your thread just curious.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
Yes I have a large mud wallow for him. This morning he finally passed what looked like the rest of the substrate he was eating. To answer the question of how I keep him during the winter. I have half of my entire basement dedicated to them. The big one has his own enclosure and the other 2 share one like they do with their outdoor enclosure. I have infared heaters and a heat pump as a back up. As well as their UV lights. Each one has their own hide box too.

Status
Not open for further replies.