sulcata age

Status
Not open for further replies.

heathedw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham AL
I just bought a sulcata from a pet store in Birmingham Al. It's a total crap hole. I have 2 redfoots I purchased online. They live in the yard and do great. In the winter I place in a baby pool inside my garage with a red heat lamp.

I have been looking at this sulcata for about 6 months. They have had for 2 years in the store just wandering around. No sunlight and dog food. It has pyramiding. I just couldn't take it and purchased. It's been a few days and has been great. No problems with the redfoots and is eating well. Just grass, weeds and vegs. Not really even trying to dig. The guy said it was 22 years old but I'm not sure. It only weighs 20 to maybe 25 lbs I guess.

How old would a 20 lb sulcata be?

Also, I am going to get his on baby pool for the winter and place in the garage. Any problems with this?

Photos attached.

2012-08-14_19-20-36_869.jpg

2012-08-14_19-20-21_735.jpg

2012-08-14_19-20-03_180.jpg

Thanks. Also any advice would be nice. The humidity in Alabama is fairly high which I have read studies which say this isnt bad for sulcates shell and he willl be keeping the grass weeds in check, along with vegs. No protein. Nice big back yard to enjoy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think a baby pool will be big enough. From the care you've described for the tortoise, he could very well be 20 years old, however, my Dudley is around 21 or so and weighs about 110lbs.

Some sort of heater/red light inside a dog house or mini-shed would be better than the pool. Dudley goes in and out of his heated dog house on his own even in the coldest weather. He grazes on the dead grass and winter weeds, then goes back in his house and warms up under the light.

heathedw

5 Year Member
Birmingham AL
I was thinking about an igloo dog house or a shed. I have plenty of space. How safe is a red light or ceramic light in these areas? I don't want to burn the neighborhood down? Also, did you train your to go in and out? It doesn't get too cold in Alabama but can get way to chilly for a tort. Don't want him getting caught outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Him and your redfooted torts need separate enclosures.
A pool will be much too small to over winter this guy, and if your redfoots are adults, it's too small for them too.
Red bulbs are no good for day time. Torts need indoor lighting that resembles the sunshine. Regular incandescents will work fine for you, and CHEs for night time.
The sulcata needs a thermostatically controlled heated box, like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz23ZpfwPgt
Or something similar. A large shed will work, if you insulate it well. They will usually go into their heated shelter on their own. Sometimes you have to train them to go in and out by putting them in there every night for the first week or two. They will walk out on their own each morning and usually figure it out. Often at dusk I will go get them and sit at the entrance to the shelter with them and just wait for them to walk in on their own. I don't let them turn around, but I don't put them in either. After a week or two of this, most of them figure it out and then you have years of trouble free enjoyment.

No way to tell the age on this guy. If his age is correct, then he is very small. This happens sometimes. Nothing you can do about it now, except give him a good diet and optimal conditions for his remaining years.

Status
Not open for further replies.